How much food is still in the house when "there's NOTHING to eat?"

I know some people say this and really have run out of food (I've been there) but many of us say it when we just don't want what is left at the end of the grocery budget.

I've gotten annoyed at DH for such narrow-minded thinking, yet I've caught myself doing the same thing, opening the fridge, cupboards, and pantry over and over looking for something, anything different.

Most of the time, if I force myself to stop and think a bit and not let my cravings rule my foraging, I can come up with these amazing toss-together meals and snacks.

Tonight, I made a wrap salad when there was "nothing" in the kitchen to eat. :)

I think we could probably survive until the end of June off of our current food supply, even if at the end of it we weren't honoring the food pyramid.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 9:10 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Nothing to me means out of anything to make meals with and drinks. We don't have a lot of money or space so when there is nothing then we only have condiments left.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:23 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I hate that I say theres nothing in the house and there is enough to last a while. USually I have a full cupboard of 'boring' food lol The food that stays in the back when new 'fun' food in the house! The fridge still has drinks and left overs, veggies.. nothing to me means no bread, milk, raw meat, fruits, parmasean cheese and yummy snacks.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:17 PM on May. 19, 2011

• There has maybe been a time when there was literally nothing. I would say nothing we wanted mostly.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:17 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Depends on if I can actually cook the food I have or not. I've been close to literally having no food in the house. There have been a few times I've had stuff like noodles but nothing to put on them, boxes of rice or mac & cheese but no butter and milk to cook them. Bread but nothing to put on them or peanut butter but no bread to go with it. Cereal but no milk (the kids will eat it dry but it doesn't really fill you up).
    Last month I opened the freezer and all we had was 1/2 bag of stir fry veggies, 1 box of orange chicken (which isn't enough to feed my whole family), 3 lean cuisines and there might have been some peas or something. We had no meat at all. In the fridge we had condiments, a few ounces of cheddar cheese, tomatoes, a little butter and 1/2 loaf of bread. I think the cupboard had 2 boxes of pasta and 1 box of instant potatoes that I couldn't cook because I had no milk. It was sad.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:25 PM on May. 19, 2011

• When there is enough left for about 3 meals , all of chicken legs , no variety, the bread is stale, the milk is canned , the veggies are bedraggled and my husband and daughters are getting nasty about my cooking .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Usually it means we have rice and maybe some stale cereal besides spices and condiments. It gets really bad when there aren't even condiments.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 9:27 AM on May. 20, 2011