Did you have a coming of age ceremony?

Many cultures have coming of age ceremonies.

I was told I could have a QuinceaƱera or if not that then a Sweet Sixteen, but I ended up doing nothing special on the 15th b-day and the 16th b-day was just me and a friend pigging out on junk food and blaring music and movies all night--it was awesome!

I didn't get my license until I was almost 18.

I bought cigs when I turned 18 (for my mother; I tried them before that and didn't like them).

I bought alcohol at 21 (in a strip club, lol).

What rites of passage or coming of age ceremonies did you have?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 9:29 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Got my license at 16. Went to college at 17. Got married at 21, first child at 22. Nothing specific like a sweet sixteen or anything...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I got my drivers license on my 16th birthday and moved out of my parents' house on my 18th birthday.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I moved out of my abusive father's house at 18. Got my driver's license at 20. Got married at 20. Started divorce proceedings on my 21st birthday. Was finalized when I was 22. Had my first child at 22.

Yeah, no real coming of age celebrations for me, unless you count that I'm still alive at all.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Oh, I got married at 18, too. It was a couple of months later though, not like a coming of age or anything. Bought a house at 20, had my first baby at 23.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I guess when I was 21 and in college and I actually could buy beer legally and with friends off campus at the bars.
    That could have been a "coming of age". I guess.
    Maybe a more important occasion was when I lost my virginity to my future husband when I was 23? THAT was some kind of coming of age! LOL.
    Before that, I didn't really get excited about birthdays and nobody celebrated "Sweet 16" when I was a kid. All of that stuff is pretty new. I grew up in the 1950's.It was laid back and simple....we didn't throw away money. LOL. Have you seen some of those Sweet 16 shindigs? WHat a joke! @@ Just flushing money down the toilet! And don't get me started on how much money is wasted for weddings. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Well I did have a Quinceanera, but not your typical poofy dress one.
    I had my first child at 18
    Got my place at 18
    Got married at 20
    Had my second child at 22
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I got married at 19, moved in with hubby and 9 yo stepson, been separated for 2 years but we are now friends how ironic lol
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 10:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I didn't have any of that. I was 25 or so when I got my license. I had already had a job for years when I turned 16. And my mother doesn't celebrate birthdays. For my 16th birthday I worked a double shift at work. For my 18th birthday my mother was out of town and sent me to a baby sitter because she didn't think I could be home alone yet. I moved out a month later. When I turned 21 I worked and had a small party, but by then most of my "party days" were well over and I was done drinking. I got pregnant on my 22 birthday...

Birthdays have never been anything more than another day for me. Nothing special.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 AM on May. 20, 2011

• @Rosehawk You sound like a strong woman to have gone through all of that. Sorry your transition into adulthood had so many stumbling blocks.
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 9:56 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My first daughter at 21 (month before 22nd b-day), Married at 22. Second daughter at 25. Bought house at 23.
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 10:23 PM on May. 19, 2011