Breastfeeding...

I overheard a lady telling another woman this at work, "If nurses and people in general didn't push breastfeeding on Mothers, I'm sure many more women would choose to breastfeed."

Do you agree with this? Why or why not?

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 9:29 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I disagree. Most push formula. I think more women would choose to breastfeed if they had more support.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• The opposite. U have formula ads all over the drs office.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:32 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It's possible that that may be the case in some instances, but I doubt it is for the majority. I felt like some of the nurses at my hospital were pushing formula on me, if anything. Then there were those who were very supportive and offered lots of great advice on breast feeding.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I disagree. Most doctors and nurses push formula or are undereducated on breastfeeding. I think if the doctors and nurses were more capable of educating woman on breastfeeding and encouraging them to see lactation consultants instead of forcing formula at the first sign of trouble.... Not to mention the classes around here are $100. Plus the social media has a lot of people in general feling like breast feeding is 'gross' and 'un-natural' leading people to feel ashamed of the idea.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I made my own decision. I don't listen to anyone. Nobody.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

• An on the same note as But_Mommie, I found it annoying how most doctors didn't really know how to deal with an exclusively breastfed baby. I went to one doctor who asked no less than 8 times how many ounces of formula my son was getting, and seemed truly confused when I explained that he never got formula.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

• No I don't agree. People do what they want to.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• In the end no matter what someone says everyone will chose what works for them not what others tell them. Most will listen to your advice and weight it with what ever else they heard or think they know.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 9:45 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Mothers will do what they want, whatever works best for their lifestyle and their baby regardless of what friends, doctors, or nurses say. Neither breastfeeding or formula should be pushed on anyone.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Disagree, bottle feeding is pushed and showed to be more convient. I did breastfeed and in public, didn't slow us down.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:44 PM on May. 19, 2011