Is it ok to be induced at 39 weeks and 3 days?

kalliexx13

Asked by kalliexx13 at 9:42 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes, my sister is getting induced on 39 weeks exactly. Next Wednesday :) Unless she has the baby sooner of course.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i got induced with my last 2 pregnancies at 38wks
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 9:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• the baby is considered 'full term' at 38 weeks. I personally would not jump to induction with out a medical cause for it....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:47 PM on May. 19, 2011

• yes, your full term, the Dr prob doesnt want you to go over 40 weeks.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:47 PM on May. 19, 2011

• First of all, you don't really know if baby is ready. Unless there is a valid medical reason, I wouldn't ever suggest induction.

Pregnancy can last from 38-42 weeks...and then some. If you baby is ready at 43 weeks, and you get induced at 39, then, technically, baby is almost 4 weeks early. Baby should be ok, but, unless it is in severe danger now, why risk it?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:51 PM on May. 19, 2011

• While I agree with you, BradenIsMySon, OP didn't provide any additional information. It's possible that her doctor has told her there is a medical reason, but she is concerned about her baby.

I was induced with both daughters. DD1 3 days after EDD. DD2 was 4 days before it. They were both okay. Induction occurred because the doctor was concerned about my health for different reasons.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 10:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If he did, then my answer still provides for that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I was induced at 39 weeks 4 days with my first and 39 weeks exactly with my second and they were fine. I don't have anythign to compare it to, but I have heard the labor is harder, so I am 38+ weeks pregnant now and hoping to go on my own this time.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:12 PM on May. 19, 2011

• probably but studies show that the longer the baby "cooks" the better... they still do a LOT of developing those last few weeks.
    Induction puts you at a much greater risk for C-section (that's what happened to me)
    I feel like my doctor kind of bullied me into inducing and I regret it now...
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Not usually.
    We are still pregnant until delivery for an important reason!
    ;-)

If baby is unsafe inside then intervening is an important consideration.

But what is your priority?
    If you & baby are normal & healthy then avoiding adding unnecessary risks is safest.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:07 AM on May. 20, 2011