How do you explain to your 3yr old son that girls dont have a penis?

When I was getting out if the shower he was so concerned that I didnt have a "pee pee". I told him girls dont have them so his next question was"who took it?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• God/Nature makes girls and boys different. This is just one of those ways. It's how it is supposed to be. Girls have a vagina (girl parts) and boys have a penis (pee pee).
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• LOL
    Just say girls have a differnet kind, like an inny belly button. He is too young to need more info.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would tell him that boys have penises and girls have vaginas and that would be that. If he asked why I would tell him that is how they are born.

I don't see the big deal about those questions.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I say girls don't have boy parts and boys don't have girl parts. We have a vagina and boys have a penis. No need for more.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:20 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Did you tell him no one took it? Girls are born without a penis.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My daughter is 5 and understands that we are built differently, but she still giggles every time she walks in on her dad peeing or something and says "wiener" and runs out of the room. I don't think they will understand the "hows" and "whys" for a while...just that it is different.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:28 PM on May. 19, 2011

• wow- everybody basically said the same thing I did yet I am the only one who got voted down. interesting.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My son and his friend (both 3 at the time) were very concerned for my dd when they discovered she didn't have a penis. I plainly told them that that's the way God made them. Boy's with a penis and girls with a vagina. I find that boys are a lot more interested in their penis than girls in their vaginas. Both my girls noticed their vaginas one day and asked what it was, I told them and they spent a week or so asking questions, why do I have a vagina, because you're a girl. Why do girls have vagina's, that's the way God made girls. Does daddy have a vagina, no he has a penis. and my one dd took off her swimming diaper one day and sat there with her knees to her chest just looking at it and asking her questions. I thought it was funny because of her innocence. But then that was it for her. My son on the other hand has always had questinos and a facination with his penis. I hear the same from my friends who have boys too.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• He's afraid someone will take his. I would just reassure him. He will catch on to all this in time.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:43 AM on May. 21, 2011