Have you changed after becoming a parent? What has parenting taught you? If you were to start over, what would you do differently?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• waited till i was done with school instead i have unconditional love worth it definitely . i have for sure changed i'm way more patient, understanding and compassionate with people. i am a much nicer person now than i use to be. i need to set a good example for my kids.
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 3:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• well i would have stayed home more, instead of working the 2 jobs, wanting your kids to have the good things, the shoes, clothes, some kids out there, treat your kids, like crap, if they aren't wearing the latest, and not being so short tempered on, the little things in life, if we could go back
    and do things over, that would be great, i say spend more time with my kids, and do more things
    with them, now most kids are into computers, games, televison, texting, don't have time for you,
    would take more, time to listen to my kids, instead of rushing to get ready for next job, to go to,
    working to much, 16 to 18 hours a day, doesn't leave much time, for anyting, let alone sleep,
    some times, all they need is your time, alot of kids, don't want you to hang around them,
    its so uncool, they don't want thier friends to see that, .............
    chilimidos62

Answer by chilimidos62 at 5:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I was only 17 when I got pregnant with my first so I did change from being a kid to a grown up. I have 5 kids now and dont regret any of the children or my choices to have them. Of course I would have loved to be more on my feet when I had them to give them more things, but they were and are very loved and I think thats most imporant.
    What parenting has taught me is patience. I have two special needs children and it has also taught me about special needs and how to teach them, and fight for them in schools etc. It has made me go back to college to learn more so maybe one day I can help other moms who dont know how to handle schools and their special needs kids.

Answer by gemgem at 7:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• The only thing I wish I could change is being a better parent to my son when he was a baby. After I had my girls at 21 I saw what I missed with my son when I was 18. But, other than that I wouldn't change anything. If I wouldn't have gotten pregnant by a deadbeat then my husband wouldn't have been able to adopt him, If I would have "waited" for my husband then I wouldn't have my son.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• my dd said that she feels less selfish since getting pg and doesnt care if she gets anything for christmas where as b4 it was all about her...........she is the youngest child so she was very self centered...............she just wants to get the stuff she needs for her baby coming in may
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 9:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I guess the only thing that has really changed for me is I can't do everything that I want to do when I want to do it. It is more about going on his schedual. But it doesn't bother me at all. I don't get to go out with friends like I used to, but that is okay, I would rather be here for him than some nasty ass bar anyways because what is the point of going there?? At least I have value here at home with my baby. I guess being a mom has taught me what true unconditional love is. I always thought I knew what it was, but I was so wrong. I never has that true feeling of love until I looked at my baby boy. Cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Cont..And if I were to start over and do anything differently I would have finished college and gotten my degree so I could make a little bit more money and have a little bit of a better life for my son. However, it is going to take a little bit longer now, but I will finish college because I have that drive now...I have to do it for my baby...Everything I do is for him!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I've changed a lot since I had kids. I thought I knew what love was before I had them, but it's nothing compared to what you feel toward your kids. I've learned that I'm not nearly as patient as I once thought I was and that I am not an extremely pleasant person to be around when I haven't had much sleep. I'm sure my family and friends would say I should have spaced my kids out a little (there is only 19-20 months in between each) but I wouldn't change that at all.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I have changed a lot. I don't party anymore for one, which is something I was really big on right up until I got pregnant. My priorities have definitely changed. Like someone said above me, Christmas is one good example. I used to be horrible about getting what I wanted. I didn't have anything under the tree last year, and I was perfectly happy with that. Because my daughter had presents under the tree and that was all I cared about. That is pretty much it now, my daughter comes before everyone and everything. As long as she has everything she needs, I am a happy mommy :)
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I like this question. I have changed a lot since I have become a parent, I have learned patience, have unconditional love, I have learned sacrifice, never realized how someone I love so much can drive me so crazy. I have learned I am also very protective since I have become a mom. I love my husband more than ever. Thing I would change would listen more, stop yelling, not feed into the drama I Have teenagers, it's okay to walk away) they grow so fast, your dreams may not be theres at thats okay!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2008