Do you and your hubby/SO share a bank account? If yes, why? If no, why?

The first time I was married we shared an account. Now at 36 I'm getting married in 1 1/2 weeks and we don't and won't share an account. It's not that we don't trust each other, we're probably set in our old ways! Makes it easier to balance too.

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 10:18 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• Wit my Hubby we have 1 checking account we share, 2 savings accounts we share, and then we each have our own checking accounts. It works for us. With my ex we didn't share any accounts, and I would never do that again. My ex didn't want to share anything, and that was a control issue on his part.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:35 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't know. LOL. We have an account that we both have access to for bills and spending, then we both have our own savings accounts that we had before we were together, but the other is listed as the beneficiary on them. I ended up with a checking account we don't really use that I had for a business...and then he has an account out of state that he opened when he was working 6 months out of the year there. Then we have mutual and separate investment accounts from previous employers and what we started together. Ours are kind of "his mine and ours" I guess! LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I have a bank account that is in the hole thank's to the last business I tried! (Luckily, I have found something that is going to take care of that REAL fast!!), he has is own as well... But, as of now we have been married for almost 2 1/2 years and we don't "share" one. It's in his name only because we never really had the time to get to the bank with me and my stuff to get it set up that way. It is a pain in the BUTT, but that's completely okay! I think having separate would make it a little easier to balance as far as who spends what on what.. but I think it would kinda cool to have a his+her's plus a joint. Bills come out of join and his and hers go for whatever that person needs or wants to get (ex. clothing, shoes or stuff for the house)...
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:48 PM on May. 19, 2011