How do you get your husband to understand what Aspergers is?

and understand how stressful it is working fulltime and getting our son to all of his doctor apointments? I'm really stressed and fed up! I love my husband but I need a partner not someone who isolates himself. My in laws are so judgemental. They don't understand Aspergers and they let everyone know how difficult our son is. Help! Really need some good advice and positive feedback, feel like I'm losing it.

rest

Asked by rest at 10:33 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Wow, I would MAKE them ALL go to a doctors appt. and have the doctor explain explicitly what the deal is.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Have your husband do a few of the specialists with you and have them help explain what it is that your son is going through. Otherwise start pulling info from the net and have him read it and then have a "non-blaming" conversation about it and ask for help, as well as emotional support.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• God bless you momma! my 13 yr old has aspergers and it is soooooooo hard! Noone understands it unless they live it! He needs to go to appts with you. Maybe a support group to help him understand? Your in-laws~~~~F#@# them ! I'm sorry but you and only you are responsible for helping that child thrive and become something great! It is hard and non supportive parents cause divorce a big part of the time! I know from experience. Good luck and feel free to friend me or message me anytime!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My husband has it, so there is no explaining to him.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:41 PM on May. 19, 2011

• They look perfectly normal so people don't understand it. I was wondering, do your in-laws ever babysit him? That may enlighten them a bit! lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If you figure anything out, let me know. DH works 70 hours a week, so he never goes to dr appts or IEP meetings. Our aspie is 8.... and DH doesn't "get it". He says "Oh, he's normal" and "No, there's nothing good that can come of him playing with the little kids" (DS1's best friends are 4 and 5)
    Ugh... men.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

What is the biggest challenge in your marriage that arises due to asperger's? I just wonder how to helo prepare my son now for relationships later?
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Has your husband been to a meeting with the Doc who diagnosed the Asperberger? Maybe if he could sit down with an expert and hear the facts. You made a reference to your husband being isolated form every thing, does he have some symptoms of Aspeberger's... Good Luck
    jazzymom190

Answer by jazzymom190 at 10:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Sounds like he and his family are in denial. I would be trying my best to get them to go to the doctor's office so the doctor can sit down and talk with them all. I am sorry you are going through this. There has got to be group on here for Mom' going through this. Have you looked into it? Maybe that might help if you had a support group.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i'm sorry momma i really don't know anything about aspergers so i don't know how to help but wanted to give you hugs!
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 11:29 PM on May. 19, 2011