Almost 3 year old doesn't talk very well

My almost three year old doesn't talk as well as other children close to his age. My best friend's son is three months older then my son and her almost two year old both talk better then my son. I have others tell me he is fine and then others ask me if there is something wrong with him.. I mean I read to him, we use big boy talk not baby talk, and all sorts of stuff..until recently I wasn't concerned but with so many people asking me if something is wrong and I can't help but freak out a little bit! I'm not sure if I should make a doctors appointment..has anyone else's child been like this and everything be fine... Btw he was 5 weeks premature even though you can't tell it now..the only other issue we have is potty training...he is at level or above on every other milestone

Gradensmommie

Asked by Gradensmommie at 10:37 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you had his hearing checked? Sometimes fluid build up can cause speech delays due to hearing issues, its usually as simple as tubes in the ears. But regardless, Contact your local elementary school about their head start program. It's a law that every district have one although it is called something different in every state. Because your child is 3 they no longer qualify for the home visits so you would have to get sessions at the school but if your child has a qualifying delay they give free speech therapy through the school. If your child doesn't qualify then it just means the speech delay isn't bad enough so at least you can rest easy with that information.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:41 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If he's under 3 he qualifies for services with early childhood intervention, once he's 3 you can go to your local school district. It does not hurt to have him evaluated and early intervention is crucial to catching up if he is truly behind. Get him checked out, and good luck!
    RozyMama

Answer by RozyMama at 10:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If you ever have concern just talk to dr. I agree with these ladies so far! GL!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:51 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Now my son was very similar, he didn't utter a single word until he was two and a half and he also had other issues like problems interacting with other children. However when he started talking he caught up immediately with other kids his age. Is this the only thing that worries you about your son? Because if thats it then I would go along with with kayslay and say that it's most likely a hearing issue, however if he exhibits other behaviors like not making direct eye contact, poor social skills with other children his age, possibly flapping his hands (and with my son walking on the balls of his feet) and sometimes a peculiar voice tone, I would look into Asperger's disorder, its a form of very high functioning autism, my son was diagnosed when he was 4 and he is a very happy well adjusted 6 year old. Im no doctor but if you ever have any questions or just want to talk feel free :)
    MsMommiof4

Answer by MsMommiof4 at 10:54 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Has he had ear infections? He may have hearing problems? Does he have an older sibiling that does the talking so he doesn't need to? If it's any consolation, Einstein didn't talk until he was 3. I would have a doctor check him, but as a precaution and for your own piece of mind.
    patrowbo

Answer by patrowbo at 3:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• you should have him evaluated - what would it hurt. best case senario - your fears are put to rest and nothing is wrong. worst case - they identify an issue and begin treating or dealing with it and your child improves and reaches his full potential. really the question would be why WOULDN'T you get hm evaluated?
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 4:48 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I would definitely get a free evaluation through early intervention. If he does have a delay, the earlier you catch it, the easier it will be for him to catch up.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Make a doctor's appointment just to ease your mind. My son had a tongue-tie when he was young (the tongue is held down by the strip under the tongue being too tight.) After that was fixed his speech improved dramatically and now as an adult it is perfect.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:40 AM on May. 21, 2011

• PS they say that the famous actor James Earl Jones never said a word until he was 4 then stated speaking in complete sentences. Every child is diffrent.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:42 AM on May. 21, 2011