Need help to get almost three year old to use potty.

She will sit on the potty, but won't due anything. Any ideas?

Faith196

Asked by Faith196 at 10:39 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Patience. Sit on the toilet and tell her you can go pee pee first. Turn on the faucet so the water is running. Just keep at it. It will happen.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• 3 day potty training method, it's an e-book, but here are the nuts and bolts of it:

Buy a whole bunch of underwear with stuff on it that she likes. You will probably need somewhere around 15-20 pair.
    Pick a 3-day period in which you will not leave home.
    Have lots of drinks on hand that she likes.
    The night before the big day, throw away or otherwise get rid of all of the pull ups. that's right . . . you won't need them anymore.
    Keep child in underwear and t-shirt, have her drink lots and lots and lots
    make sure she knows where the potty is and has access to it at all times.
    Watch her for signs of readiness. Do not leave her alone lest you miss the opportunity for a potty session.
    Repeat for 3 days.
    Yes you are nighttime training too, so you will need a mattress pad.
    I HIGHLY recommend this program, it works better than anything else I've ever tried. It worked on my 2.5 year old son, and I'm about to use it on my nex
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 11:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My DS wouldn't potty train until he was 3 years and 3 months old. Then, one day, we got him some boxer shorts and put him on the normal toilet. He's been fine since (at least during the day, not so much at night). We got rid of the kiddie potty and didn't use one of the inserts for the normal toilet, either. I think that he just wanted to feel like a big boy and use the toilet just like we did.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 11:38 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Thanks, I will try. Maybe it will help if she feels the wetness.
    Faith196

Comment by Faith196 (original poster) at 11:56 PM on May. 19, 2011

• my 3 year old daughter has been fully potty trained for about a month now, she stl has accidents sometimes (mostly during the day, wierddd !) LOL, & my best advice is & ITS A TRUE CLICHE but, they will go when their ready ! & it took a LONG time for me to understand that but everyone told me. obviously, you stl have to help, have her go when you go OR have her sit on the potty every 45 min. to 1 hr. ! * & if they've drank alot of fluids & their holding themselves (my daughter does that) then take her immediatly & it's not bad if you leave them on there because YOU KNOW they have to go... but, don't leave her, sit with her & sing, talk OR read a book... she will eventually go. * but one thing i learned is DON'T GET FRUSTERATED & GIVE UP & ALSO, DON'T YELL OR GET MAD IF SHE DOESN'T GO OR HAS AN ACCIDENT ! it will only break her spirit & she'll feel she can't do it. & also, make sure if she DOES go, PRAISE HER FOR IT ! :)
    ZoeyMariah.

Answer by ZoeyMariah. at 1:04 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My daughter potty trained herself on her third birthday when I told her that if she wanted to go to day camp in the summer and preschool in the fall she needed to pee on the potty and not wear a diaper anymore. Before that, I tried, but she just wasn't interested...and once she decided to go on the big potty, she's never had an accident since (with the exception of having a tummy bug and she didn't make it to the bathroom in time).
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:27 AM on May. 20, 2011

• be consistent and remind her every half hour if needed and she will get the concept; one thing I learned with my boys is if we bought the pull-ups they would just go in them; but once we bought regular underwear(and bought some "special" ones) and got rid of the pull-ups they were trained in no time. I feel the pull-ups are just like diapers and alot of the kids don't care if they wet in them or not
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:36 PM on May. 21, 2011