Now that all kids are getting the shot for chicken pox, are there still outbreaks in schools?

The reason I ask is because I've never had chicken pox but I did get the shot when it first came out. So I've been told I should get another one to be fully protected. Just wondering if chicken pox is really around much anymore.

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 10:49 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would do it if I were you. There are enough folks around that are anti-vaxinations for various reasons, that commonly vaccinated illnesses still pop up.

We just had a big measles outbreak last month around here for example.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 11:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• NOT all kids are getting the shot for chicken pox - or many other diseases we had once almost eradicated. That is why lots of those illnesses are making BIG comebacks. Big mistake.

Anonymous

• Just because you've been vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get the disease you've been vaccinated against, because vaccines are not 100% effective, plus not everyone gets vaccinated, so the virus is still alive & well and people do still get chicken pox.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We had an outbreak at a school near us last year. It was only five kids, but it was called an outbreak. The school actually closed for a few days. Nothing like when we were little and it would go around the whole class.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My 3 older kids got the shot and still got the chicken pox BAD 2 years ago. So, yes there are still outbreaks but the shot doesn't always do what it's supposed to - which is why I'm not even bothering to get my younger 2 vax. What's the point?

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on May. 20, 2011

• The chicken pox vaccine does NOT PREVENT it - it lessens the severity and duration when a child gets it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 20, 2011