What can i do for my baby girl cause is has colic and wont go to sleep for about 2 to 6 hours and will sleep for maybe 30min to 4hours?

LeahsMom101608

Asked by LeahsMom101608 at 3:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try put ying her in the swing if you have one. It worked for my babies. My son slept in a swing everynight until he was 5 months old because that was the only place that he would sleep. I tried it out of desperation to get some sleep for myself. The very first time I put him in the swing, he slept all night!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Most babies don't really have "colic" they have other tummy issues... reflux, lactose problems, allergies...
    So look into those things first and see if they can be fixed and hopefully the sleep will come.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Colic is just a word for a fussy baby--like the PP said, it is not a diagnosis. She may just be fussy, or there may be an underlying diagnosis like acid reflux or a milk protein allergy (my daughter had both). Does she have any symptoms other than poor sleeping like spitting up, excessive crying, bloody stools, etc.? If so, speak to your doctor. If not, try the swing, swaddling (if she is still young enough for that), white noise, etc. until you find the trick for calming her down.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• try switching formula to i believe its similac nuetramigin (SP) its very expensive but if thats what is doing it its worth trying... you can also get free samples from doctors
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Please read "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp. It's an excellent book, and helped me deal with my son's very severe colic. I'm not even going to address the PPs who discount the experiences of millions of mothers with colicky babies. It's insulting to dismiss what our children went through (with NO medical explanation whatsoever) for months. If you're breastfeeding, start a food diary to track what you're eating that might be bothering the baby. The most common offenders are dairy, soy, cruciferous veggies, and wheat. With dairy, you have to learn to read lables, casein and whey are in EVERYTHING and they're dairy biproducts. It's important not to switch to formula from breastfeeding because it can make colic worse. Learn to swaddle, and do it tightly. Get yourself a sling or a wrap to wear your baby. Babies who are worn close to mom tend to cry less. Much love going out to you.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 2:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My youngest was on nutramigen (don't know how to spell it either) and was expensive years ago. My middle daughter had colic from foods that went through my breast milk to her. When I stopped oj she got a bit better and when I stopped milk she stopped bowels movements at 8 weeks old for two weeks. As her body adjusted to no easy bm's cuz of less cow's milk through me she started pooping again. When she started table food I put her on LactAid milk to help her innerds stay calm so as not no cause loose poop from the cow's milk. At about a year and a half or two years old she went on cow's milk and was fine.
    Anonymous

• After I went exclusively to formula...we switched formulas twice. The abrupt switching is hard on their tummies. Put my son on Nutramigen for 5-6 weeks to get his system settled. Then began to reintroduce soy to his system. I mixed 4 cups of formula at a time....4 cups of water, add one scoop of the new formula and 15 scoops of nutramigen. Then each day add one more new and one less nutramigen. This eases their system without shocking it, causing all that discomfort and fussiness. Then when we introduced milk based formula, to make sure he wasn't allergic to it, we did the same ratio with soy and regular formula. He is just fine now. If you have any questions, feel free to msg me! Sounds like with this and your breast feeding issues we have similiar problems.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• 3maniacsmom:

No insult was meant by my post. I have read Dr. Karp's book twice. I was only trying to say that "colic" is not a diagnosis and, therefore, there is often no easy fix for it. It something you have to figure out. If it is not reflux or a milk allergy or another medical diagnosis, there is something bothering the baby that you just have to try to figure out. Oftentimes, it is too much stimuli outside the womb, as Dr. Karp suggests. I mentioned three of his techniques in my post that can soothe a fussy baby. My baby screamed round-the-clock for nine months until her problems were properly diagnosed and treated, so I most certainly understand this situation.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I agree with 3maniacsmom. Also Baby's Bliss makes a supplement called gripe water which is made with fennel and ginger. We used that with my son and he felt better each time within 10 minutes. Hope this helps! :)
    lvlymummy08

Answer by lvlymummy08 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2008