When does a NICU baby come home?

I have a chance of giving birth at only 33 weeks and 3 days, I would like to know about how long my son would stay in the NICU if that would happen? I have the shots to boost his lungs

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When he is off extra air, at least 4 pounds, takes all feeds by breast or bottle and pass the carseat test. i believe that is all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:51 PM on May. 19, 2011

• most hospitals have a weight requirement (like 4lbs or so) and the baby has to be able to eat on their own (breastfeed or bottle) and not need breathing support etc.
    hopefully you won't have to worry about that :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Depends on many things. Weight,complications and many other things.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Expect baby will need to be in the NICU until close to his actual due date. With the shots for the lungs, and if all goes well it likely will be shorter, but don't count on it.
    My DS was born at 34 weeks and was in the NICU for 6 days. He had no breathing problems (I had the shot a few weeks earlier when I first went not labor) and was 5 lbs 11 oz.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i'm pretty sure it depends on the baby and the hospital
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:11 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It's a case-by-case basis, but they generally say to expect to take a nicu baby home around their due date. I know a 34 weeker who went home 2 weeks later, right now one of the teachers from my kids' school is still waiting for her baby to go home - she was born at 32 weeks and it's now almost a month past her due date - she just is not ready to go home. There is not general time-line, because your baby could be extremely healthy or ocule be extremely sickly. But expect to go home around your due date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 20, 2011