What is your understanding about fevers? Are they good? Are they bad?

Should you let them run their course? Should you keep them under a certain degree? What's your greatest fear about your child having a fever? Why do you believe what you believe about treating or not treating fevers?

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 10:51 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• In most situations fevers are good. Its the immune systems natural defense mode. As body temp rises, the production of the infection is slowed, and the production of antigens and antibodies is increased. I let them run. I do not monitor the fever, but the child's behavior. We push fluids and watch for signs like the child being confused or lethargic. We do not lower the fever. We do what we can to make them comfortable, but I do not like the idea of interrupting or suppressing the immune system. IMO it prolongs the illness and causes long term issues with the immune system.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Fever is a natural mechanism when the body is fighting something; it is a sign of something else going on. I have found that the best remedy for both children and adults is to let it run its course, rarely giving medication (only if it gets high and the person is very uncomfortable) because it interferes with what the body is trying to do. Lots of rest, fluids, and hold off on any foods (a fast during fever is best). If the person becomes dehydrated or starts exhibiting other symptoms, then it's time to call the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I believe they are there to do a job. i do nothing unless A. it gets 103 or B. my kid is showing other symptoms and/or lethargic.

then, I medicate...or take them to a doc.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:54 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Fevers are a good thing up to a point.. It is the bodies natural defense against infection.. I do not like fevers approaching 104, it can cause seizures, etc.. A low grade temp under 101, I don't treat unless the child is miserable.. If the fever is still around past a few days, other issues come up.. time for a trip to the ped.. Might be something more serious that I can't treat at home and may need help..

Also the age of the child will depend on how I treat, when and how high before I call the ped.. A newborn and small infant under 6 months I would be concerned with a fever about 100 or a little less if other symptoms present.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If the fever gets to be about 102 or 103 I will give my daughter children's Motrin. I have never had to do more than that.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I dont like to let them get high, I know that some form of a fever helps them sweat it out, I am a meds user, I use a tyelnol or advil or motrin , I also do the warm bath thing but Really I dont like fevers
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 11:16 PM on May. 19, 2011

• if it gets to a certain temp, depending on age i will give them meds or take them in depending on what other symptoms they are having and their age
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 11:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If she's obviously uncomfortable and a fever isn't the only symptom, I home medicate or take her to the doctor (if fever is reaching 103).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i was told by our doctor that fevers are a good thing beacuse it's fighting off a virus. i don't give tylenol unless ,my kids are lethargic or not feeling very good. but, they can have a high fever and still be playing as normal..in that case i wouldn't give them anything.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 5:30 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I believe that fevers can be helpful as the bodys way to help destroy what ever is making the body sick. I do not usually give medication unless it gets really high, they are feeling really horrible, or sometimes before bed when they have a fever in case it goes up over night. We try to use fluids, cool bath, ect to treat the fever.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 9:12 AM on May. 20, 2011