• In the Spotlight:

What can i do to get my milk to drop cause I've tried to breast feed but I dont produce enough to give her. I even tried pumping and it would take me 4 hours to get 3oz and after that I wouldn't get any milk out 4 hours later what do I do?

LeahsMom101608

Asked by LeahsMom101608 at 3:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What you pump is NEVER to be used as an indicator of your supply. If your baby is having the correct amount of wet diapers she is getting the perfect amount. Remember in the beginning baby is going to feel like she is at the breast 24/7 and that is NORMAL and does not indicate a lack of supply. Please read this article. It will give you the confidence to continue breastfeeding your little one. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Just keep nursing on demand, and drop any suppliments. Your baby nursing is the BEST stimulation to bring your milk in. What you pump does not = what baby gets while nursing. Many women can EBF, but are not able to pump more then a few drops. What makes you think you don't produce enough, besides the amount that you pumped? How old is your baby?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Please consider continuing, I know it is hard and demanding but it is so worth it for her and you in so many ways. By switching to formula you may very well be introducing a whole new set of problems; constipation, belly aches, cries of pain, the constant switching to find 'the right one' when in all actuality the 'right one' that fits with her body was and will always be breastmilk, etc. Also don't forget breastfeeding does not have to be an all or nothing thing, feed baby at the breast first every time then go from there. Good Luck and know YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Look into those precious eyes and feel the encouragement!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I can't nurse my baby at the breast it just didn't work for us. I exclusively pump. Yes, I pump somewhere in the 6-12 times a day. Yes it is more work, but well worth it in the end. Please reconsder before you give up. If you need someone to talk to you can message me. Good luck momma your doing great.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Many women think their babies aren't getting enough because either they hit a growth spurt and want to nurse all the time ("Oh my God she is never full, she must not be getting enough!"), or they're comparing their baby to formula fed baby's feeding habits (formula is harder on the gut to digest, so it takes longer, giving a feeling of being full longer, which means the baby eats less often), OR their doctor has little experience with breastfed babies and tells them that because their baby isn't gaining weight the same way a formula fed baby does (breastfed babies are smaller and don't follow the same growth patterns that formula fed babies do). What you pump is NOT an indicator of supply. As long as your baby is having at least 6 wet diapers a day, your supply is fine. Even if bowel movements are scarce (mine would go as much as 10 days between BMs) they are fine as long as their wet count is up.
    Anonymous

• Same thing happened to me. I just didn't make enough milk and eventually dried up after 5 weeks. Supplemented from day 5, my son lost too much weight. Anyways, some of us just can't do it, no matter what we try. That's what they had wet nurses for back in the day. I cried and cried and told my mum I felt like less of a woman because I couldn't feed my baby....hense the discussion of wet nurses and all that babies who died when there wasn't formula. You can only do what you can do.....don't be too hard on yourself. My son is just fine and gained weight like crazy when he went straight to formula. He is 17 weeks and 17 or 18 pounds, find out the exact weight tomorrow!!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• pumping little doesn't mean you're making little. just BREASTfeed on demand, no pumping. if you must pump & bottle feed, then do so. use warm compresses to help you express, take fenugreek, drink mother's tea, & oatmeal. if you truly aren't able to make enough (very unlikely- only about 3% of all women can't), that doesn't mean you stop nursing altogether. give all the breastmilk you can, then look to donor milk. then there's formula as a last resort.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2008