What's the worst vacation experience you've ever had?

Trouble in paradise at any time? Let's hear it...

Ruthmom802

Asked by Ruthmom802 at 10:56 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• A few years ago hubby and I were going to go on a motorcycle ride to Colorado with a group of his friends for a week. I wasn't sure about riding that long and wanted to actually be able to pack so I was going to drive there and then while we were there ride on the bike with him. His mom made a huge deal about never seeing the Rockies and basically invited herself on our vacation so I ended up having to drive her the whole trip. I never even got on the bike with him because she didn't want to be left out and didn't want to drive our car - she, however, did get to ride through the Rockies on the bike. We hadn't saved enough to take an extra person and pay for two hotel rooms so she shared a room with us (she didn't pay for anything the whole trip) the entire week and a half we were gone. Oh, and my birthday fell during that week too, but I was too miserable to celebrate. )c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Took my sister, daughter and nephew to California to visit our Grandparents. My sister put on the smallest bikini ever invented, went to the neighbors house and hit on my Grandparent's neighbors grandson, who was married and his wife was there. Then my Grandma had the neighbors over for coffee and right in the middle of it all my sister asked me if I was a lesbian because I had short hair. It was horrible!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Our trip to Disney a couple years ago...a girlfriend and I were going ourselves with our total of three children, aged 6 months, 3, and 4 at the time. It was a murphy's law vacation. We were about 4 hours off the plane in 100+ degree heat when our kids said they were "freezing". Yep...SWINE FLU. Paid a taxi way too much trying to track down children's tylenol and a thermometer to find out they had 103 and 104 degree fevers...and you know we got that crap by the time we were through. We attempted to do some things still...rained through sea world. We went to Disney and there were so many tears and pukes that we said forget it. One of us had to sit through a timeshare (SO not worth the discount...omg) pretending we were a lesbian couple...and we spent a fortune on top of it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Dominican Republic. No heat. No blankets. No one spoke English. Absolute nightmare. They had to wake the manager up in the middle of the night and he brought me blankets from his suite.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• An RV trip to canada with my Aunt. Who we didn't know had gone off her bipoloar and depression meds.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 11:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• disney world with my parents in summer 2001. we had to drive down, me, DH (bf at the time), mom, dad, little sis. they woke us up at 4am every morning to drive down, it took us 3 days to get there. we had to share a room with my mom and little sister after my dad flew home for work. no privacy at all, DH's money was stolen out of his bad at one of the hotels and we had to borrow money from my parents after my mom gave us a nasty speech about "being more careful with money". she complained about EVERYTHING the whole time we were there. i dont even know why they took us, my mom HATES amusment parks.
    poshkat

Answer by poshkat at 11:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We went to Memphis, TN in 1999 and as we arrived in town after pulling off the freeway we had a brick thrown from an overpass through the front window of the minivan. Glass was everywhere and put my then husband in a horrible mood which lasted the whole next week.
    suzyinindiana

Answer by suzyinindiana at 11:17 PM on May. 19, 2011

• went to SIL's for Halloween and all she did was rag on me for this that and everything and then accused me of stealing her kids candy from trick-or-treating when we had our own from my son; she wrote me a nasty letter and everything and there has been bad blood between us ever since I don't care if I ever see her again
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:33 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Our whole family, including in laws. It was about 15 people. The water broke and we were without for over two days. They took some off the price, but it was still a pain.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:51 PM on May. 24, 2011