Both I, my Mother and MIL where confused by this

Everybody on here seems to keep saying that breastfed babies are skinnier then their formula fed peers. I've never met a skinny breastfed baby ever,really ever and I'm in a state with an 80% breastfeeding so I've met a lot of breastfed babies. They look like they're parents just like all the other babies I've met be that fat or skinny. Both my Mother and MIL breastfed they're children exclusively and had kids that were in the 75-99 percentile.
So now that you see where my confusion comes from and that it's in no way against breastfeeding it would be illogical considering my family.
But really where does this come from because I'm really confused?
Please no blantantly critical answers like I said before it just hasn't been my experience but I would be willing to read studies or things like about where it comes from.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:16 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• breastfed babies aren't skinnier. It's that they gain weight on a different scale than a formula fed baby. So different growth charts should be used.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Not sure. I wasn't able to breastfeed (never actually had any milk come in) so my babies were formula fed. My son was a chunky baby all with fat rolls under his chin...So cute! My daughter was much smaller...she had some fat but really just seemed pretty average in size once she got to be about a month old. A friend of mine has 3 kids. I met her after her 1st was older but her 2nd child was pretty skinny but her 3rd baby (both were girls) is such a little chunky monkey! All 3 were breastfed. So like you, it seems to me like it's more about genetics than about how they're fed.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Braden how do they gain weight that's different? and in what way would the chart be different? Really I'm interested in the scientific parts of this. Is there an example of the chart somewhere?
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've never heard that before... My bff bf her baby and I dried up at 5 months and had to ff. My friends baby is a cute little chunky butterball and mine is this tall skinny thing... I don't think it has anything to do with how they are fed...
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 11:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My bf baby weighed 17 pounds by the time she was 5 months old. She was HUGE. She weighs 24 lbs now and she is 15 months...
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I get what your saying but I thought most babies weight gain slowed when they started crawling and especially walking.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:47 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It has way more to do with genetics than with how they are fed (unless you over-feed the formula fed child).

My oldest, bf'd 13 months, never went through a "chunky" stage. She's always been skinny and tall. She's almost 5ft at age 10, and only ~75 lbs.

My son, bf'd 11 months, always a chunky monkey. Born chunky and didn't really slim until he got into school-age.

Middle daughter, bf'd ~5 months (milk dried up due to pregnancy), skinny and tiny. She was 6 days late, but she was premie-sized. She's always been my tiniest. She also never went through a "chunky" stage.

And then my baby, bf'd 5 months (I think milk dried up this time due to stress of daddy being deployed). She was just like her brother, chunky monkey. She's still a chunky monkey, but she's starting to lose that baby fat (4 1/2).

When they start becoming active, then yes, the weight gain does slow a bit.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:00 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I think the child will do what the child will do...My friend breastfed her baby who was in the 99th percentile...I breastfed my children even longer and they are "underweight"...and after nursing...my kids are still "underweight" and he is in the 99th percentile.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:02 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Healthy breastfed infants tend to grow more rapidly than formula-fed infants in the first 2-3 months of life and less rapidly from 3 to 12 months. All growth charts available at this time include data from infants who were not exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months (includes formula-fed infants and those starting solids before the recommended 6 months).
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:06 AM on May. 20, 2011