What are some of your holiday traditions?

Looking for new ideas.

jekr43

Asked by jekr43 at 5:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Holidays

• In 1975 I started the tradition of baking a birthday cake for baby Jesus, and following dinner we would light the candle and sing "Happy Birthday" and the kids would all blow the candle out. Then it was time for cake and ice cream. I just wanted them to remember why we had the celebration, and why there were presents. As adults, I still bake a cake and take it to my daughters house, so my grandson's can share. I think the 'big' kids think it's dumb, but tough, I'm older.
    pattecake

Answer by pattecake at 6:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My favorite tradition is to bake cookies and eat them for Christmas morning breakfast!!!!
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 6:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Our family tradition is christmas eve we go to families house and give the oldest grandparents a big gift we all pitched in for. Then we have a huge dinner which is potluck and stuff ourselves. We each bring a fav non holiday dish. Before that I make christmas cookies so when we get home we will put cookies, and carrots and oats out for santa and his reindeer and the kids look up for santa. Then we check the santa tracker through norad and the kids go to bed.
    They wake up very very early to open gifts. I make egg burritos, bacon, cinnamon rolls and put out left over cookies while they open. Then we go to my mils for lunch for a traditional christmas dinner and to open more gifts.

Answer by gemgem at 7:29 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• birthday cake for Jesus
    reading of the Christmas story and other stories from a Christmas themed book by candlelight (it has poems, short stories, etc that are fun to read)
    communion after reading of the Christmas story
    Anonymous