Buying Food and then selling it??

I recently overheard someone talking about buying food and then selling it for money?! I can't imagine what food could be purchased and then sold for a profit? Unless this person had foodstamps, but even then, who would want to buy food from a person and not the store? Anyone ever heard of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Money & Work

• Im with you I dont get it? LOL I mean why wouldnt you just go to the store? Unless its things someone cant buy in their area and youre sending it off. I know when I lived in VA and NJ my sons loved sundrop which is only sold in NC and sometimes a friend of mine would visit and bring them sundrop and cheerwine (its a soda). My mom buys coffee for my aunt in calif they dont sell there but sell in VA but again thats about it.
    Now I do know from my dd that her sil who we have since turned in would offer to buy her say 50 bucks of food on her foodstamps card for $35 but thats highly illegal.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My SO is a beer truck driver and he gets it at $5 a case. He then sells it to his family/friends for $10 a case. It's not illegal and not against company policy for him to do it and I bet we probably have 30 cases of beer in our house and he & I drink maybe a case a year!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Nah. I wouldn't buy from anyone else. The beer is okay, I can understand this. But if you cannot afford food, there are plenty of food banks to get food from. Seriously, are they trying to make a profit or what? Oh, unless they grow if themselves, like veges and stuff.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• It's simple and done all the time. If you have food stamps you go to the store and use them (now it's a card) Then you turn around and sell the food for less then they do at the store to families who do not receive food stamps. You make a profit. However, it's done mostly in trade and usually for drugs. Addicts (who usually have children) will trade their food stamp card to someone who has the drugs (and usually children) for a day. At the end of the day, the addict gets their card back and the drug equivalent. It is illegal and very sad. The children who are suppose to be getting the food do not and the people who sell the drugs are getting away with it.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My first thought was, NO way". Thenn I thought back to a few years ago. There is a brand of Mexican chips, Julio's chips, that you used to be only able to purchase in Del Rio, Texas. When we were visiting family I always came back with at least 10 extra bags along with salsa for my friends in the Waxahachie area. I made about 3 dollars per order. Not much, but went towards the gas. Now we can get those chips up here, but they don't taste as good.
    maypearl97

Answer by maypearl97 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2008