Tubes in the ear.

My DD needs to have tubes put in her ears. She will be 14 months old at the surgery next month. Anyone have experience with this surgery and have advice?

Kitkat61277

Asked by Kitkat61277 at 11:38 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• My youngest son is almost 6 and he's on his 6th set of tubes. It's a quick surgery and the recovery time is almost none. My son get sick from the anethstesia but recovers fast. Good luck!

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes-
    Is she having the adenoids removed too? If so, that's a bit more involved and takes longer. Make sure that you have a Pediatric anesthesiologist or a person very comfortable with working on a small toddler. The anesthesia is the hardest part-some kids wake up screaming and swinging-

My son had tubes plus adenoid removal at 13 months and a second set of tubes at 3- Other than the first hour of recovery, all went well-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I had tubes in my ears and adenoids removed - my mom told me I was acting like my normal self before the day was over, she said surgery was in the morning and by the afternoon I was running around being a hell raiser again.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes, my youngest son has had it done three or four time. I lost count. It's no big deal, recovery doesn't take long at all. I don't know of anyone that has had any trouble with having it done to their child. Just remember, this will mean less ear infections!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Thanks for the info. The doc put me more at ease when he said there would be no IV and I was curious when he said they would fall out. It sounds like repeat procedures are usually necessary...he didn't mention that. Is that normal? To need it done multiple times until they are older?
    Kitkat61277

Comment by Kitkat61277 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I've had tubes in my earsoff and on for 30 years. They help me hear better. I can't feel them. They don't hurt. they help my head from filling with fluid. Mine are even put in right in the ENT's office, although not everyone can tolerate this. They would never do it this way for kids and not for all adults. I am thankful to have them. Without them, it feels like I have water filling my ear and is uncomfortable. They fall out after a year or two. I go without the tube until my ear fills up with fluid again.
    patrowbo

Answer by patrowbo at 3:45 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My son had tubes in his ears when he was really young. The surgery didnt take long at all and it didnt seem to bother him . The worst thing is keeping water out of his ears when it was bath time. Good luck.
    myfamilymylife1

Answer by myfamilymylife1 at 1:35 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes, I had 2 children who needed this surgery. They did great. The most important thing was getting and remembering to use all the time the specially fitted ear plugs to keep the water out of the ears when bathing or swimming. My son especially improved his hearing enormously after the surgery. It was good for them both.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:36 AM on May. 21, 2011