How to break a 2 year old from sleeping in the bed with you

So, obviously, I co-sleep.
Need some advice on how to break my 2 year old from sleeping in the bed with me.

I'm thinking about buying a small tv and we have an extra dvd player, and just letting her watch movies in her room until she falls asleep.

I'm tried to let her just cry it out, she'll vomit everywhere and hyperventilate. Any suggestions?

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 11:44 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The tv thing COULD work, but it might create a whole new monster... if she is anything like my dd, she refuses to fall asleep during a movie, lol... Heres what I did.... I would let dd fall asleep with me, then I would move her to her bed. She would initially wake up after a few hours and come back to my bed, but gradually she slept longer and longer. I would say it took about a month to get her completelly in her own bed and then another month to get her to GO to bed on her own. DD was about a year old at that time. My friend had another idea that worked for her. She dragged her mattress into dd's bedroom and slept on the floor of her room for a week. Her dd was also 2 , so she could TELL her, "mama is going to sleep in your room for a few nights until you get used to your room". GOOD LUCK
    mlivlee

Answer by mlivlee at 12:20 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I never had this problem but I noticed that being consistent is a MUST. I really dont suggest getting a tv to put her to sleep. They she will ALWAYS have to have a tv or some kind of noise to put her to sleep. I think it would be a really bad idea. Instead try a night light and her favorite toy for her bed. Tell her if she goes to bed in her bed She gets to sleep with her toy and you'll read her a goodnight book. If she cries let her cry. I know its heartbreaking but she needs to know that you are in control not her. If you give in to her you'll never get her to sleep in her own room. It is going to take awhile but its worth it in the end!!!
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 12:44 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Right now I am letting my son fall asleep in my bed, and then I move him to his. He wakes up in a few hours, and I take him back to my bed, and let him sleep the rest of the night with me. As someone above said, he is starting to sleep longer and longer in his own bed. A friend of mine put a matress beside her bed for her dd to sleep on. Every week she would move the matress further from her bed, and eventually to her dd's bedroom. She said the there were a few rough nights when the matress made it outside her bedroom, but she made a big deal out of how proud she was of dd sleeping on her own, and it worked out. Best of luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:26 PM on May. 22, 2011