COULD you be a foster parent?

If yes, are you and if you're not, why not?

If no, why?

Personally, I could not foster children. I would end up in prison for going after the parents that hurt them. Or in the looney bin because I lost it when I had to give them back to parents who didn't care for them the first time.
Now, I did "foster" a teen, and could/would do that again. But thanks to some legal issues I don't have that choice.

What about you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would like to be and have thought about it, but I think I would have issues letting them go. I would become too attached, so I guess the answer is no I couldn't.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:48 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I couldn't for basically the same reasons as you.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 11:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i could be and want to. I'm only 19 right now, (20 in september) but I plan on getting my foster license eventually. Right now I'm going to school to be a Social Worker, and I foster dogs for the local humane society. Kind of my way of preparing me for getting attached and having to give them away to a new family, or back to their original family. Although I know that will be way harder to do for a child.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 11:54 PM on May. 19, 2011

• No, cuase I was a foster kid and I was horrible and one foster girl lied about my BIl and said he touched her ( he was out of state and never met him) and they were investigated and it would be a pain in the ass if you had to go to all the court stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on May. 20, 2011

• emotionally, sure, financially no I couldn't right now.. I barely keep afloat with my own two kids lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:06 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I could be, and my husband and I plan to later on. Yes, I would have problems with letting them go, but I would feel good knowing I did all I could to help these kids while they were in my care.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:10 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Our house is too small for the ones we have :(
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:10 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I would like to say yes, but I don't know. Where we are now (no space for us, me working full time), etc) I don't think it would work, But I won't say that I never would.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:47 AM on May. 20, 2011

• We would like to think we could. I'd love to give those kids everything I could.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:51 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I could be and I would be except that I don't meet the state guidelines for income (evidently I'm too poor to care for children) and my ex would throw a major hissy. He thinks taking extra kids in takes away from being a mother. I think it's not different than going and finding a new woman with kids but we really don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. So until things change I just quietly help kids I see in need.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 9:13 AM on May. 20, 2011