Do debt collectors have a right to call my work every day?

i'm 21. i had to leave college when i was 19 cause my psycho mother decided to kick me out. so i left. i haven't had a job for 2 years. now i get a job recently at price chopper and the other day this collector calls my work while i'm at a register ringing someone up. they told me i have unpaid student loans. i gave them my home number but i'm really never home and i don't have a cell phone. 3 times they've called price chopper since looking for me. i don't think they should be able to call me at work. they have my number and i don't even know how they found out i worked there. i never even knew about these loans. my mom apparently took them out in my name and now i'm expected to pay them back. but isn't that harassment when they keep calling you at your job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• If they do they really shouldn't. They could cost you your job then how do they expect their money?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Get the contact information from the company. Then, write them a letter, giving them your HOME information, and let them know that if they continue to contact you at work, you will speak to an attorney about harrassment charges. Bringing up the possibility of legal action should get them to stop their calls to your work. Also, ask to see a copy of the loan paperwork. You have to sign for a loan--ask them to show that you signed the paperwork. If you didn't, then you can dispute the loans.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:55 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've had this happen. It's pretty shitty because it can really cost you your job. Not that it did mine. But I told my boss that if they ever called to tell them to stop calling there. I got on the phone with them once and yelled at the lady and said to not ever call there again because it was rude and harassment. I don't think they did after that. Stupid people. I don't get how they expect you to just give them information about money when your at work!! That's what pissed me off more than anything lol
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 11:57 PM on May. 19, 2011

• if you say do not call here again, legally they're not suppose to! You can get them completely off of your backs if you have a lawyer send them a letter lol. Yea, wouldn't work if you did it obviously. you can e-mail my friend and she could help you out (yeah, i'm super excited because I just did this myself and it's been peaceful for like.. 2 months now) KimberlyLBishop@prepaidlegal.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I know mine called me at my job...it totall messed me up cause I felt scared. They called like 2 times a day.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 12:03 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Yeah, I use to be a debt collector. It's a tactic to get you to pay because they KNOW it could cost you your job! FAIR WARNING!! After contacting you twice (not Massachusetts), they CAN and will (if they are smart and really want the commission) send you into collection and take from your pay check and tax's..
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:04 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It depends if this is a collection agency/atty office (3rd party) or the company who owns the original debt (1st party). 1st party collections are allowed to do pretty much anything they want. If it's 3rd party, they are bound by the FDCPA. If your boss is sympathetic, having them tell the caller they are not allowed to call anymore IS the way to make them stop (if they call again, your boss can go after them for harassment). You telling them not to call your job doesn't mean anything, though - it's not your phone.

Your other option is to send a cease and desist letter, instructing them that they are ONLY allowed to contact you via mail and not telephone - it must be mailed certified (use a return receipt too, so you have proof they received it). Do that, and if they call again, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:04 AM on May. 20, 2011

• anon actually my aunt is a lawyer, a family lawyer, but a lawyer nonetheless so i can just ask her to call them
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:05 AM on May. 20, 2011

• get the name of the person who called and tell them not to call, warn them if they DO call you at THAT number you will report them for harassment to your lawyer. If they DO call again.. save up $300 and get a bankruptcy lawyer to slap them with a lawsuit.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Def. do it, they SHOULD stop calling IMMEDIATELY! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 20, 2011