My 2 year old boy

is it normal my 2 year old can talk really good so when we have convos and we say hunter lets go to town he says hunter going or we will say hunter lets play outside and he will say hunter doing playing outside ok so he askes hiself what he is doing then answers hiself is it normal or am i going crazy ? AND NO SMART COMMENTS PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS

alliep2011

Asked by alliep2011 at 12:12 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds normal to me. Especially for a boy.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 12:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• omg im so glad to hear that
    alliep2011

Comment by alliep2011 (original poster) at 12:21 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Sounds normal to me. Sometimes it takes kids a while to pick up on pronouns. He definitely knows his name.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Think of it this way: He is practicing conversing and at the same time confirming to himself what is going on around him...does that make sense? Not sure I am wording that the right way.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 12:43 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My sons (I have toddler twins) narrate everything. EVERYthing. Are you thrown off by him using his name & talking "about" himself in third person, or is it the fact that he's talking "to" himself (with questions & answers)? In my experience both aspects are normal & this is a real part of developing consciousness plus expressive skills.

The narration/running commentary my boys do is really important to them, & they want it reflected (or to have confirmation of understanding.) They hold out for a simple accurate acknowledgment, & that's what I provide.("You're going to work now." "You're driving the truck." "You don't think so." I repeat names, tho, not 'You.') One of the best things you can give a child is the gift of being "seen." Not evaluated, praised, etc. but simply noticed & acknowledged. If you do, they are making a connection or an impression. This simple fact has a huge impact on self-esteem. Notice, hear, reflect!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• P.S. I forgot to add that speaking to him with "Hunter" & "mama/mommy" & "dada/daddy" etc. (and "Hunter's," "Mama's," "Dada's") instead of "You," "me," "I," "he/him," "yours," "my," "mine," "his" actually is helpful to orienting him to the correct pronouns, eventually. I was naturally doing so much reflecting that I just spoke this way with them by default ("Hunter rolled the ball to mama!") and they definitely narrated in that way. Now that they are adding & incorporating pronouns, they have done the whole complex thing very seamlessly, shifting to "her" or "his" when talking about their sister or their dada.
    They will still speak in third person ABOUT me (rather than TO me) when they are "narrating" something about me (they do also speak to me when they want to address me or make a request), so "Mama put on her shoe!" instead of "You put on your shoe!" (to me.)They also use personal pronouns correctly & are shifting to that.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:31 AM on May. 20, 2011

• The reason is that using names in most interactions (which is more concrete than using pronouns) firmly orients them as to identity & word meaning. Using pronouns is fine, too, but sometimes little kids will have that cute issue of mixing up "I" and "you" ("You do it!" when they really clearly mean THEY want to do it!) because it's tricky to hear someone referring to "you" all the time but also know to switch it up when you're speaking back to them. So if they hear their mama saying "You want to do it, okay you can do it yourself," they might tend to use "you" to mean themselves. They mostly hear mama saying "I" & "me" to refer to herself, so they don't easily/automatically transfer those pronouns to refer to themselves, reflexively. This does get straightened out, & it's normal, but in my experience the "pronoun issue" is pretty straightforward later if they're first oriented toward "Hunter" & "mama" & "Hunter's" & "mama's."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:39 AM on May. 20, 2011