How do you save money for Christmas? Do you save ahead of time?

Do you have budget for each child? Do you start saving in summer or charge with a credit card (unfortunately). I usually try to start buying in November and use probably 1/2 cash and 1/2 credit. With kids ranging from 3 to 13, it's a little overwhelming to decide how to save and also buy for others. What do you do?

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Start buying some of the gifts for other family members EARLY. Especially if you're just going to get gift certificates for them, go ahead and buy them now.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• For the first six months of the year i try to save $50 a week for a summer vacation of some kind. After that from July on that $50 a week is for Christmas. My husband also gets a bonus at thanksgiving that's 100% Christmas and I save reimbursements from work and turn them in in November and thats 100% Christmas. We have 4 kids and 3 are teens. Budget has ranged from around $250 to $400+ in good years. We are not always equal but the kids don't know - I just can't spend $400 on Barbies and Webkinz for the youngest even if the oldest gets and ipod, Northface coat and 1 outfit (easily over $400). It still looks like she gets way more for $200
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:07 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I've already started to buy some things. This way I don't get overwhelmed in Nov. and Dec.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I try to start saving in January. It doesn't always work. I try to put any money I get from taking surveys, selling things on Ebay and points programs towards Christmas. I have earned two $100 gift cards from the points sites so far. :) I haven't cashed in on them yet though. Every little bit helps when your budget is tight.
    punkypoo1988

Answer by punkypoo1988 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• due to a large family(7 sister, & 7 brothers) we start buying 1-2 gift's in June, & than in Sept. Oct. we do a lay-away for the 1's we have'nt bought for yet.....
    LaughsAlot

Answer by LaughsAlot at 9:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I start buying things for Christmas on Jan 1. I watch the store ads, amazon friday sale, slickdeals.net, etc. I usually have all or at least most done by August
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• We try and put a small amount of money away starting in the summer ($20 a paycheck). We also look in the summer and fall for things on sale, and hide them under the bed. That way, if we miss a neice or nephew's birthday and money is tight, we have something for them. We also shop the day after thanksgiving sales, and my kids always get an outfit for christmas... We do what we can.... We dont have a lot of money all the time, so we just try and be as frugal as we can.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 11:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Usually I start early. This year I am broke literally so I do not even know how I am going to swing my son's birthday in August. I think for one thing, this Christmas we will only shop for the kids. I have never done that before :(
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2008