Anyone else equate CIO to this:

"So imagine now that you are a paraplegic, restrained in a dentist’s chair in a foreign country where you don’t speak a word of the language. How comfortable would you be? Wouldn’t you prefer that you had a trusted aid by your side, very close, who could understand your needs and respond to them?" 

http://www.parenting-advice.net/babies/babies_don_t_sleep_through_the_night.html

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:55 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 6:08 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Babies can speak and tell you what's wrong, they can only cry. Babies can't get up and walk away or come to you when frightened, they can only lay there. They are stuck in a small crib in a dark room all alone. They cry because they want love , comfort, reassurance...they are left to lay and cry. Sounds the same to me.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:56 AM on May. 20, 2011

• No.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 AM on May. 20, 2011

• lol I think it could be viewed that way if a parent had absolutely no idea as to what their kid needed and was being neglected. I know that when I put my baby to bed that their belly is full, their diaper is clean and they are safe. I am not unable to understand my child, I actually know that they want me to come and hold them but need them to learn that they're safe in their room and mommy and daddy are not far if they really need us. It is not dark and there is some music playing quietly. I walk into the room every 1-3 mins to reassure them I'm still here and they are still safe. What kind of parent would I be if I let my child learn that they are the centre of earth and every thing revolves around them? How would they then feel after a life time of entitlement at home when they go out into the world and discover they certainly are not the centre of everyone elses lives. How will they then cope with it??
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:02 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Actually, small infants NEED to be the center of your world, their fragile minds and bodies are not mature enough to handle learning to cope on their own. They are born still in a very parent dependent state. We are one of the few species born that cannot do anything on their own and require help for everything. As they grow, they acquire more skills and eventually develop enough for independent. Until the child can walk, talk and do..they are solely dependent on you. Until that moment, there is no need to learn any self soothing, self coping self dependent behaviors. Those are skills an older toddler and child are ready to learn. An infant under a year old does not possess the brain function, the physical maturity or the emotional ability to acquire those skills. And being forced to learn them actually compromises their functions in a bad way. My son co-slept, he was attended to promptly, and he was not allowed to CIO.CONT
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 10:09 AM on May. 20, 2011

• This in and of itself actually made him a far more independent kid and better sleeper than most other kids his age. Along with making him confident and mature.

He is not a kid that feel entitled to anything. because he was given the skills and allowed to develop them when it was physically and mentally appropriate for him to learn them.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 10:11 AM on May. 20, 2011

• maybe up to a certain age, but after a certain point (which, i'm sure is different for every baby), no, i dont think its the samw
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:38 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Do you have the inability to understand that parents have different ideas from yours and that they are not automatically wrong simply because it wasn't the way YOU did things? I parent very differently from you, but my kids are also independent, mature, confident, intelligent children and teens. Parenting should be based on what works best for each individual child and family, not a one size fits all.
    Anonymous

• What does THIS question ave to do with YOU? I asked if anyone else felt like this and now I see that YOU do NOT.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 1:49 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I equate crying it out to leaving my terminally ill mother to cry it out when she needed something at night. In the last week she was no longer verbal and was always needing something. Damn straight I got up; I knew it was a situation that wasn't going to last forever and I would NEVER be able to live with myself had I not gotten up to tend her.

Everyone has to decide what their own conscience will allow.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:49 PM on May. 20, 2011