Anyone else have brain surgery as a child? (Long)

I had brain surgery to remove a benign tumor at age 11. I have brain tumor syndrome (haha name right?) and had serious issues as a teen trying to cope with this. Before the surgery I was incredibly intelligent (not trying to toot my own horn) and everything came very easy for me. Afterwards...that was not the case. While I still had that level of intelligence everything took longer and was harder to complete.
The issues I am dealing with as an adult (besides occasional bouts of moderate to severe depression) is that I cannot seem to express myself verbally and my reading comprehension has dropped considerably. I was always an excellent writer and I read constantly. It is only with new concepts. I have a very difficult time learning new things. If it something I could do pre-surgery I am fine. But new things are just too much for me. Anyway, it seems to be getting worse as I get older ( I am only 26). Has anyone else dealt with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Health

• It sounds like your cognitive ability part of the brain is having issues. U should go and talk to a physiatrist or someone like that to see if there is anything u can do. I suffer from a mood disorder and some meds do that exact same thing to me and it gets so damn ittrating!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:03 AM on May. 20, 2011