Burping baby

What are the consequences if you dont burp your baby? I always do Im just curious and How long should you burp them for?

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby needs to burp and you don't burp them, then the gas being stuck in there can be really painful for them. I would usually try burping my son for about 5 minutes (or until he burped, whichever came first), and by then it was pretty safe to say that he just didn't have any gas to get out.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• This depends on your individual baby. Some babies swallow more air during feeding than others, so they may need burping more often. Bottle fed babies tend to swallow more air than breastfed babies. It is not always necessary to burp a breastfed baby, but his would depend on your individual baby. Bottle fed babies generally need burping. As a guide, try to burp your bottle fed baby mid way and at the end of her feed.
    Baby burping tips
    http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=38

Answer by gemgem at 8:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• If I didn't burp my babies then I got spit up on. My second son was really hard to burp and sometimes just wouldn't so we just knew the spit up was on its way. I usually burped them until they could sit up on their own. Once they are sitting up and moving around it seemed they got it out themselves.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My baby is 8 months old and I still burp her. It does not take as long as it used to, but I still feel better knowing she has been burped.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008