My child seems to be getting very bossy...

He's only 4, but he LOVES telling people what to do. But not in a nice way, it's more bossy than nice. Ive told him over and over that if he wants people to do things for him he has to ask nicely. it doesnt seem to be working. suggestions??

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:31 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• don't do what he wants if he demands it make him ask first
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:32 AM on May. 20, 2011

• make him say it polite or act like you don't hear him when he talks like that. When my nephew acts like that I won't listen to him, I won't even acknowledge him until he asks politely. My DD tried this for a month (she likes to pick up habits from her cousin), and she learned real quick that I don't put up with it. She knows how to say please and thank you.. oh and the "BUT I GOT TO".. grr that use to drive me nuts. lol. THAT i use to correct and say... NO, it's: I would LIKE to.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:31 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Tell him he needs to say it in his nice voice and he gets ignored otherwise. Model what the nice way to ask/say is so he clearly understands. Be matter of fact and not angry so he doesn't think he can push your buttons.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:08 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Be bossy to him, then ask him nicely. Show him the difference and how being bossy is not nice. Let him no other kids won't want to play with him if he is bossy to them. Even when there that young friends opinions mean more then parents :)
    Ashleycash

Answer by Ashleycash at 12:03 PM on May. 20, 2011

• When my 4-year-old tries to boss me around, I just flip the script on her! I use the exact same tone she used and tell her (meanly) to do something. When I see in her eyes that she gets what Im doing, I ask her how that made her feel. We then ask in a nice way and she will acknowledge that it DID make her want to do whatever I asked more, when I asked nicer!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:41 PM on May. 20, 2011

• tell him he is being disrespectful and that he needs to talk to others better. Tell him he needs to say it in his nice voice and he gets ignored otherwise. Model what the nice way to ask/say is so he clearly understands. Be matter of fact and not angry so he doesn't think he can push your buttons
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:20 PM on May. 21, 2011