How much weight to gain is normal?

i'm 5'2 and am 23 weeks and 3 days along in my pregnancy i weighed 166 pounds when i got pregnant and now i weigh 180 how much should i gain?

mamawilbur

Asked by mamawilbur at 2:10 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• 20-60 pounds I think.
    Some gain more others less.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:12 AM on May. 20, 2011

• ok ty
    mamawilbur

Comment by mamawilbur (original poster) at 2:12 AM on May. 20, 2011

• In general, the ideal is about 25-35 lbs total. Aim for 1/2 lb per week before the third trimester, then 1 lb per week in the third. Make sure you're not "eating for two," as you only need 200 extra calories a day in the second trimester, and 300 extra a day when you are in your third. This will help keep the weight gain in check. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:20 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I gained a lot more than they recommend, in all my pregnancies: about 45 to 50 lbs, but I had gestational diabetes. It's a good idea to keep track of what you've gained and when just for the record. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:24 AM on May. 20, 2011

• 25 pounds is what to shoot for - additional weight gain increases risks for you and baby
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 4:56 AM on May. 20, 2011