Ok, the state of Michigan has really done it now!!!! Updated

A guy here just won the lottery and he is now a millionaire. This happened about 3 weeks or so ago. Not sure about the exact date, anyway, he is still receiving food assistance!!!!! He had to only claim his winnings as one week "earnings". He just lost his S.S.I. today when the the fed gov got wind of his winfall. The State of Michigan is offically is the most (insert description here) lol What are ya'll thoughts??

This guy Mr. Fick, he won 2 million, and this is a federal matter, DHS was going by the federal rules. The guy still has a little over $850,000 in his bank acct. This little asshole actually HIRED an atty!!!!!!!!!!!  WHY?!?!?!  He still wants to remain on his food asst!!!!!! WHY?!? Grrrrrrrrrrangry

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:40 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• NO.. he won 2 million 11 months ago.. (1 million after taxes)..
    yes, he's still recieving food stamps because his winnings are assets and not apart of gross income so legally is still eligible. He did not lose his SSI however the feds are trying to pass a law to include assets so he will no longer be eligable by wednesday.

If you are going to post a story post it properly. Am I angered by this yes. Do I think it's fair? No.. but at least if you are going to complain post the facts right.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:26 AM on May. 20, 2011

• This is what I had the news website I have here. It seems like their info isn't updated. But it was told by one of the congress people he giot his SSI stopped already. That is what our local news channel said tonight
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 3:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I think that it's pathetic that someone could come into that kind of money and still feel okay about receiving assistance (legally or not). People like that are a drain on society and while he has his million set aside and is still receiving help, someone else in need goes without because he only cares about his bottom line. It mostly just makes me sad for people that need help but can't get it because they make $5 too much to qualify.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:29 AM on May. 20, 2011

• LOL So I heard
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:26 AM on May. 20, 2011

• While I think it is wrong I think considering assets is a slippery slope. I have seen people poor as church mice, but with family land.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:57 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I agree with QuinnMae 100% I just could not in good conscience continue taking assistance when I knew I did not need it. He can live comfortably for the rest of his life as long as he does not go on a massive spending spree.

cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 10:44 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It's a crazy world out there, no doubt...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:54 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I do think its wrong but its more about the system then the person. The story said he informed them of the winnings and they said he gets to keep his food stamps. I think he is also a little bitter about them taking 1 mil of his winnings.

I wouldn't do it personally though.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:55 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Didn't they take half of his money. I mean seriously I would be pissed off. $1 million of the money I won going to who? Right back to me in food stamps SSI medical care whatever Thank you. What if he had debt and bills out of hiss ass and about time he was finished didn't have any to enjoy. I you win you win fair and square. I think the state of Michigan was just looking to compensate after all the b.s they've been going through.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 12:12 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Didn't they take half of his money. I mean seriously I would be pissed off. $1 million of the money I won going to who? Right back to me in food stamps SSI medical care whatever Thank you. What if he had debt and bills out of hiss a** and about time he was finished didn't have any to enjoy.

***
    You can thank the members of your state's congress for the law that states financial winnings are to be taxed at approximately 40% of their gross worth, over $600! The money you pay in taxes is SUPPOSED to go towards state budgets--education, subsidies, elderly assistance, etc., but we all know very little actually gets to the intended recipients.

As for "enjoying" his winnings...I would certainly enjoy being debt free!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:27 PM on May. 20, 2011