Cheap and tasty picnic ideas

Im taking the family to this botanical garden this weekend that has wild animals walking around, free entrance, play areas etc etc. It is a nice area here in Germany. I want to pack a picnic lunch to bring with us, I want to bring something a little different than just a boring regular sandwiches, container of potato salad...you know the normal stuff hehe. Admittedly we don't do picnics very often, when we outside it is usually BBQ cause well...BBQ is awesome :-). I am open to sandwiches but would need something different than the typical everyday sandwich. Does on tneed to be extravagant or oh la la, its me the hubby and our preschooler. I will probably do deviled eggs only because we all love those , our daughter will eat a whole plate of them if we let her haha. That is pretty normal of a picnic..but I gotta do those. Need a few other ideas, especially the "main" lunch item.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 4:07 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Let's see... Could always make some cream cheese, regular sliced cheese, and lunch meat roll-ups for finger food. Cheese cubes and crackers. How about some unique salad ideas? Oriental salad is very good and it's easy to make. Fruit tote.

I hope some great ideas come for you and that the picnic goes great!
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 4:21 AM on May. 20, 2011

• a super long roast beef hoagie sandwich w lots of veggies!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:23 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Wraps/pinwheels? Use a flour tortilla (if you have them available) and put sandwich stuff in, roll it up, and for pinwheels slice it. We like to stuff ours with colorful veggies too like cucumber strips, red bell pepper strips, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 20, 2011

• We love a cold fried chicken picnic dinner.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:51 AM on May. 20, 2011