Is this normal?

DD who just turned 5 in December is behind in the physical things.

Meaning, she can't:
Ride a bike (she lacks the leg muscles and steering ability)
Do a summer salt (tummy tickle, roll feet over head)
Tie her own shoes
Brush her hair (I think that is more of a Mommy will so I don't have to)
Use the "monkey bars"
Swing without being pushed

Is this normal for kids these days or should I push her super hard to do all of the stuff? I know she needs to learn to tie her own shoes, we are working on that she just isn't getting it very quickly.

Don't bash please, it's 3am so obviously(sp?) I'm concerned about this or I wouldn't be up worrying!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on May. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds normal to me. My just turned 5yo can't ride a bike... because she's never had one before. Can't tie her shoes (none of my kids could before 6 1/2 and my 8 1/2 still can't). She can't do the monkey bars. None of my kids could until they were like 7 or older and were in school with a playground. They are pros now since their new school has 3 recesses and one of the play structures is all monkey bars of different types. She can do somersaults (she took gymnastics at 3) and brush her hair and I found out last week that she knows how to swing on her own. My other kids didn't learn until they were 6 or older. My son just recently learned and he's 9. My 5yo learned because her friend has a swingset and that's all they do at her house.
    Unless she wears shoes with laces all the time I wouldn't even worry. That's why my 8yo doesn't know how...she's never had shoes with laces. It's never came up before.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:22 AM on May. 20, 2011

• umm my 6 yr old daughter can't do any of those.... lol. yeah it's normal!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:31 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I am sure its nothing to worry about, each child is different therefore what one can do at 3 doesnt mean the next can. As for monkey bars etc many kids dont have the upper arm strength, I think its way to presumptuous to say its abnormal, if your not convinced with your Dr's evaluation by all means get another one, but I am sure there are many mothers out there of 5 year olds that cant check off everything on that list!

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:56 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Kids will not do what they are not encouraged to do. Like I tell my almost 8yr old dd "Can't never could!" She is just now swinging herself and trying to tie her own shoes. You have to stop doing some things for them.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:49 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I would just encourage her to do more things for herself, like the brushing her hair, tell her she can do it and show her how, some things i wouldn't force on her like the monkey bars, she might just be afraid. Sometimes kids just know that you will do it so they figure why bother, but i don't think there is anything wrong with her, all kids do things differently.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:56 AM on May. 20, 2011

• She was medically evaluated and they said she is fine. I just figured that because we don't live near a park of visit one normally. Maybe I should get a second opinion
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:27 AM on May. 20, 2011

• that makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:43 AM on May. 20, 2011

• The one you mentioned that concerns me is riding a bike. When you mention her muscles are not developed enough. Does she ride a trike? Does she ride a big wheel? What other physical activites is she able or unable to do?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• my 2 older kids cant do some of that stuff either and they are 6 and 7. they know how to ride a bike but not without training wheels, my 7yr old just learned to tie her shoes and my 6yr old is still struggling with it (i dont know if she just doesnt get it or its because she is lefty and i am not) and i dont think my 6yr old could use the monkey bars but she is not as active as my 7yr old. i would just start exposing her to the opportunity to do some of that stuff and for the hair brushing just have her try and if she misses some spots then go in get the knots, but make her do it, thats what worked for mine.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:32 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My 3rd DD will be 6 in a month, and she's right on track with everything - her older sisters were too. But anyway, her abilities compared to your DD's:
    Ride a bike (she lacks the leg muscles and steering ability) She can do it, but uses training wheels, she's slow too.
    Do a summer salt (tummy tickle, roll feet over head) She can do this, we started doing them by 2 years with all the kids
    Tie her own shoes Mine can't either, we haven't even attempted it - the older 2 learned how in 1st grade (we're bad)
    Brush her hair (I think that is more of a Mommy will so I don't have to) Nope, she "can't" do this either
    Use the "monkey bars" Not sure on this, our school doesn't have any, nor does our park - so she probably can't either
    Swing without being pushed Again, a no, she hasn't figured out how to pump to keep herself going
    But when we go for checkups, she's right on track or ahead of stuff - so there's nothing wrong. (cont)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 20, 2011