Barking.

We have 3 dogs, 2 of which belong to us, the other my in-laws.

Our neighbors just got two dogs, one puppy and another that just mysteriously showed up. It whines and barks day and night, it's chained up, and our dogs just hate this new addition.

We have been proactive about discouraging barking for the entire lifetime of our dogs, but each and every time we let our dogs out to go to the bathroom, they go straight to the corner of the yard and make a HUGE ruckus with this other dog, and I swear it's enough to wake the dead.

I'm at a total loss of what to do. Our neighbors don't speak English and the thought of involving the law isn't appealing. I've gone with our dogs to the corner hoping my presence would keep them calm, trying to "introduce" them to the other dog, but they just bark and bark and bark back and forth.

Our dogs want to go outside. They play and rough house out there knowing it's a no-no in the house (we play fetch, kick ball, do jogging yard laps, etc), and since we haven't let them out much because of the barking situation, they have a lot of pent up energy... it's driving the entire house nutty because they're acting so dumb... I say dumb in the nicest possible way, but they just won't listen when they go outside now. Not at all! They are even stomping us in the bed at night wanting to go out and make noise.

Any suggestions about what we can do to help, or alleviate, the problem? I'm an animal lover and I would hate to see someone lose their pet, but the sleepless nights and our animals acting like this has to stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Maybe you could fill a coke can with pennies- just a few in the bottom- and go out with your dogs. Every time they head over into the corner and start to bark, shake the can and tell them NO! or whatever you say when they are misbehaving. Keep doing this until they get the idea. Maybe it will help!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:57 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I have annoying dogs next to my yard too and I have trained my dogs to ignore them! It will work. Call them over to another part of the yard. If the other dog starts say,we don't do that!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:16 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Thank you for the bump.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:44 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Fire hose.... lol jk. you just have to keep on them. the pennies in the pop can works also... :)
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 2:51 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I agree with lovingmy4babies GL
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 2:03 AM on May. 21, 2011