"Teen mom" anorexia - appropriate to show?

The upcoming episode of teen mom features a girl from the town I live in. She is anorexic and they are doing a 90 min special about her highlighting her anorexia. It seems that MTV is simply trying to glamorize or create more drama where there isn't much for ratings. Is this sending the wrong message to teens?

nurse_maya

Asked by nurse_maya at 5:31 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• are the highlighting it or are they showing the dangers and about the disease? I guess i would have to see the show but if they are going on about how dangerous and unhealthy it is then it could be a good thing to show others about.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:35 AM on May. 20, 2011

• i'm hoping thats what they are doing, but with mtv i'm sure it will be more about the drama they can stir up and the true matter will be lost, maybe????
    nurse_maya

Comment by nurse_maya (original poster) at 5:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• yeah your proballly right. I guess we will have to see when it comes out. :)
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:45 AM on May. 20, 2011

• You really can't tell with MTV. I don't watch it and I sure don't let my kids watch it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 7:03 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It's bad enough they are already glamorizing teen pregnancy. There's a teen mom alum in the freaking tabloids every week!
    So it's ok if I'm not careful, maybe I'll get on teen mom and then I'll be famous....
    And then I'll stop eating and get extra special famous
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:01 AM on May. 20, 2011

• they don't glamorize teen pregnancy. I thought the same thing so I decided to check it out and honestly anyone who sees those and still wants to have a kid that young, in those situations is just plain crazy. they highlight the hardships/problems more than anything. now I'm not a fan of these shows but it's not like they're trying to encourage pregnancy for teens by showing how great it is or anything. As for the anorexia thing...idk. depends on how they showcase it
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 9:09 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I will just have to see it to decide. I think teen mom is ok, because it covers a lot of the reality of being a teen mom like relationship problems, health issues, and I don't think its glamorous.
    ILoveAsherAthan

Answer by ILoveAsherAthan at 9:14 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Doesn't matter what tone the show takes. The footage will be sliced and diced into You Tube thinspo videos by the time it airs on the West Coast either way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:08 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes definetly i havent seen that one yet but wow that is messed up and these people get paid for being immature AND DUMB
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 3:29 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Anorexia is a disease---a real problem.
    It s not just a 'teen disease" either, and they need psychiatric help,hospialization often. I hope they do it justice and help . People die from anorexia and bullemia. It is DEFINITELY a worthwhile show.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:20 PM on May. 21, 2011