Why do anti vaccinating or anti cric folks get so fired up and argue so fircely their points to those that already have circ'd or vaccinated?

Obviously their minds aren't going to be changed - its too late. How does it really affect you if someone else gets their kid vaccinated or circ'd. Is it because you are trying to justify or validate your view? Are you insecure with your choice and if more people back you up in public you are validated? I just don't get why, if you are so confident in your choice, that you rant and rave to people that have already chosen to circ or vaccinate - other then making you feel better - what does it accomplish?

nurse_maya

Asked by nurse_maya at 5:37 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• A lot of the time those women are snarky in real life too. I do it when I think a mom is misinformed or it's something I feel strongly about. I try my best to inform them of facts associated with whatever the topic is. Then when they know all they can about the subject, I know that's all I can do. People make their own choices. Sometime I want to educate them on them. Nothing wrong with that. There is something wrong with being mean about it though.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 5:57 AM on May. 20, 2011

• see i like the education portion of that and its good - especially if done in a respectful manner and can be beneficial. I just don't get why so many people get sooooooo passionate about it ,online especially, particularly with people who have already circ'd the kid or vaccinated them - can't undo the vaccine and can't tape the foreskin back on. It just seems like people just wanna be mean in order to make themselves feel better about their own decisions. I mean really parenting comes with tons of guilt already - why add to it?

nurse_maya

Comment by nurse_maya (original poster) at 6:05 AM on May. 20, 2011

• They feel s if they are being attacked, so they attack back. Pro-vaccination & pro-circumcision folks can be the exact same way.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:51 AM on May. 20, 2011

• i guess i have not seen pro- vaccine or pro-circ people attack first. I have seen someone say something like took my kid in for his 2 month check up and he got vaccinated followed by a barage of anti-vaccine folks ripping the person apart for vaccinating. I actually have never seen someone attack anyone for not circ'ing or vaccinating out of the blue. only seen them have to support their decision after being attacked both here, on other sites and in real life
    nurse_maya

Comment by nurse_maya (original poster) at 6:56 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Vaccines and Circumcision are considered the Norm. While most of us are OK with these. Some have problems with following the norms. I think that the few that opposed to these norms want for these norms to become just "optional medical procedures" Something as simple as instead of the Dr. Telling the patient "OK we are taking your child to be circum..." have the Dr. Ask cordially if parents had thought about the procedure for their baby. Also instead of Peds saying "Oh! You are here for vaccination" have the Ped say "Can we talk today about vaccines" and so on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I have never understood it either. I think that maybe they are not as secure in their choices and want to validate through argument if that makes sense. The fact is though with me, and almost every mom I know we did both, circumcise and vaccinate and no amount of argument even before we got it done would have changed my mind or theirs. Now my oldest dd wasnt sure about vaccinating when she was pregnant until her friends baby who had not been vaccinated got whooping cough and almost died. She knew then she could never live with herself if something like that happened to her own child, so she chose to vaccinate after that experience.

Answer by gemgem at 7:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• – collapse
    Because we feel passionately about them and want to educate you before your next kid or at least bring you to our side to help spread the word.

What if most of the world thought drinking and driving was ok? And Some of us thought it wasn't. Say you were too old to drink and drive, but, still spread the word it was ok...well, we would want to not only change the minds of those going through it, but, even those not actively dealing with it to change societal views around.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:13 AM on May. 20, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• And no...I am very secure in my beliefs. I am not arguing for any other reason except to make my beliefs more norm and NOT pushed to the back because of some society norm.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:15 AM on May. 20, 2011

• And Gemgem...kids die from vaccine reactions and circumcisions too.
    BradenIsMySon

-----
    kids die from abusive parents too.are we going to stop letting children have parents? Probably moreso than with vaccines or circumcisions.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:17 AM on May. 20, 2011