What matters more to you, your doctors sex or their ability?

I ask because i often see people, particularly women, choosing their doctors based on nothing other then whether or not they have a penis. The female doctor could be the worst one on the planet, but they will chose the woman. Is this sexist? what do you think matters more?

nurse_maya

Asked by nurse_maya at 6:01 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Health

• It would actually depend on what my medical problem was, I'm sorry to say but I'd be too embarrassed to see a male doctor for a personal problem, and thats so wrong! All the Docotors who work in my surgery are excellent, but if I had an embarrassing problem, I'd have to see a female doctor, obviously if it was a 'Life or Death' suituation, I'd see anyone who was available, but given the choice, I'd see a female doctor.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:05 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't really care if its a male or female, i want a good doctor that i know will take care of me and my family. but mine is a male and i wouldn't change him because he is a great doctor and if he doesn't know what is going on he will search until he figures it out. Too many doctors say that they don't know and send people on thier way. This reminds me of a dr from Nebraska when we lived there, my best friend was so sick for months and he kept saying it was a yeast infection, i had convinced her to see someone else and she did and when she went they discovered she had full blown cancer. now you would think her Dr would have checked for this seeing how 6 month before she was going through radiation. She did die from this. :( So i feel very strongly that thier ability means so much more.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:09 AM on May. 20, 2011

• i was always looking for a female dr for my gyn/ob i have seen one since a teen...during my pregnancy last year i almost lost my life bc a diff female i chose (bc of insurance) almost cost me my life as well as my babies..luckily i was transferred to a diff hospital and i was given a team of 5male drs!! Lets just say next time I wont mind showing my lou lou off to a man bc they were more caring and understanding and helpful than any woman dr has ever been!!!!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Ability.

I don't care if it's a chick or a guy, as long as they have the ability to treat me, and potentially save my life, I'm going to go with the opposite sex if I have to. Professionalism would, of course, be nice, but sometimes I wonder if things like courtesy, compassion, and professionalism might be asking to much? LOL.
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 6:20 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I have seen both female and male doctors. For some reason a prefer male doctor to be my OB. I had a terrible female doctor who was single and not married yet. Yes I've mentioned that the female doctor was single and childless because I think this information should count when it comes to choosing a good OB doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on May. 20, 2011

• ability, I have had female and male doctors. as long as they know what they are doing im ok with that. If i had to take my daughter in. i would request for a woman dr to make my daughter feel more comfortable

chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 6:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• For years, I wanted a female doctor for comfort until I had to see a specialist who happened to be male. He was fantastic. Then the OB who helped deliver my dd after complications arose was also male and he was also excellent. I am looking for a new family doctor for us and won't be worried about gender in the slightest.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 6:53 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I only will see a feamle doctor. I feel violated if a man other than my husband is looking at and touching my body.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:03 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I have had a male and a female doctor and both were very good at there job but i do seem to find that the women are more understanding and actually have time for you to try and get to the bottom of your problem, but in my honest opinion aslong as they can cure you I don't think it matters, hope this helps x
    Hotmum1912

Answer by Hotmum1912 at 7:22 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Both matter to me. I do my homework and actually see more than one doctor whenever I need a new one to see if they can treat me the way I need to be treated, if they have good bedside manners and based on referrals I have gotten from friends and family. Since moving to NC I have only had women doctors. It was not planned that way, it just happened that the women doctors in my town are really the best.

Answer by gemgem at 7:32 AM on May. 20, 2011