This can't be right surely . . .

I've been receiving newsletters from different sites since having a baby, and now they all seem to be saying that my lil one should be sleeping straight through the night. He's only 4 months, and he always wants a bottle at about 3 or 4ish in the mornings. I read that to stop this happening I should change to give him just water when he gets up in the night to 'break this habbit'. Is this right? It seems cruel if he's hungry to only give him water!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 6:55 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Read this...from a doctor. Babies are by nature designed to wake at night for a reason. And they will not sleep all night because they are trained..they sleep when they are ready mentally and physically. http://www.parenting-advice.net/babies/babies_don_t_sleep_through_the_night.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:09 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I have no idea what site would suggest that but it is ridiculous.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:01 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Every baby is different. Your baby will sleep through the night when ready. I am not a fan of the water idea at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Sleeping through the night at that age is generally about 4 to 6 hours.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:55 AM on May. 20, 2011

• well it certainly isn't right if it's breastfed that's for sure - i think an older baby might develope a "habit" of waking and eating at certain times but not one that young. and yes some kids sleep through the night at that point some earlier and some later. I wouldn't worry about that yet - your baby is just fine
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:02 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Sleeping thru the night means sleep 5 or 6 hours straight. I never really go by the book, b/c every baby is different
    My son does that when he was 4 months old, he wakes up around 3 or 4 moving around rubbing his head with his eyes close. Does he just cry and cry and cry? Did you try to let him cry a little? At first I would go over feed him and change him, but there are couple of time I noticed I actually waking him up.

Sometime my son just wake up to poo and I sleepwalk over to change him, then put him back to his crib and he sucks on his fingers and falls back asleep and wakes up around 7ish then i feed him. He'll whine a little like cooing to mobile, but eventually he's falls back to sleep. He's 6 months now and he has no problem sleep till 7 or 8 in the morning.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I can't believe any article advising water to a baby under the age of 6 months. And to suggest that a baby should sleep through the night at 4 months is a bit unreasonable. For those parent's who have babies sleep through the night my word you're blessed!!!! But for the rest of us, if your baby wakes it's likely because they've got a dirty diaper or their hungry. Your baby sound like a typical baby just keep doing what you feel is right for your baby.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:53 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Wow, never heard of that! Maybe u should try increasing the amount of his last feeding before bedtime, see if that helps! Also, ask ur Childs ped if he/she can gave baby cereal , If so, try giving him/her some with the last bottle of the night (spoon and bowl, or in the milk) GL!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:01 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Thants what I thought! He's on formula now, and he obviously needs the food if he's waking up for it. Glad I'm not the only one do disagrees!
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 7:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My babies all slept staight through the night at 2 months---but that was back in the day when babies slept in their own cribs and ate baby food cereal twice a day.
    Seeing as how they recommend only breastfeeding and co-sleeping nowdays,I am not surprised that babies are still waking up during the night at a year or two old.....modern days. @@
    Just do it your way---the way that works best for you ---and don't depend on strangers for advice.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:22 AM on May. 20, 2011