I dont know why my two week old wont sleep

shes fed, burped, and changed. but as soon as i put her down she cries. as soon as i hold her shes fine. this goes on all night. shes completely fine during the day. what do i do?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 7:04 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• swaddle her tightly with arms down. she won't like it as you are doing it and for a min. after, but it will allow you to sleep for longer periods - worked wonders with my kids and every kid i have tended in the newborn nursery
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:07 AM on May. 20, 2011

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:08 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Swaddle and have a consistent sleep time routine that you do every time the baby is tired. Get her to the point of being sleepy and lay her down. Fussing should be minimal after she gets used to the cues that it is sleep time.

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:00 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Keep in mind that she is only 2 weeks old. She just came from a situation where she had constant contact with you 24/7. I suggest the swaddling. I've swaddled my kids when they were babies and it really helped. I would also after feeing and swaddling them lay them on my chest and let them fall asleep then lay them down. At this age they don't need to learn how to go to sleep on their own just yet.
    My sister and her husband didn't realize that they didn't have to change their son's bum right before he went to bed. Poor kid would be asleep and they'd change his bum before laying him down and he'd wake up and then be up for a while when they were ready for bed. They were told that if he's asleep wait till he wakes to change his bum unless he has a narly pooh. Talk to someone who you know and tell them what you're doing and maybe they will discover something you don't need to be doing or should be doing.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Most kids won't sleep a solid sleep (5 hours) until a year old or later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My son was like that too, just wait it out, it will change soon!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:58 AM on May. 20, 2011

• she's two weeks old, thats why. my now 10 week old son did the same thing. i slept alot of his first month in the recliner with him just so i could sleep a little. and a tight swaddle helped him calm down and sleep too. i read the book "the happiest baby on the block" by dr harvey karp and found it very helpful. i recently saw it on dvd at target too. maybe check your library :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:04 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Just ride it out. She's normal. "Sleeps like a baby" is the biggest lie on the planet. Unless the speaker means "doesn't sleep."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 PM on May. 20, 2011

• It took me a few weeks to figure out that I just needed to lay down with my LO to get her to sleep....snuggle :) Then carefully lay her in her crib usually on her side in a positioner (she had reflux) and I think it also was less "out in the open" and made her feel more like she was being held. As far as sleeping more than 2 hours....don't bet on it. That is one of the joys of motherhood....no sleep :) Mine still wakes 2-3 times a night at 10 1/2 mo.
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 10:43 AM on May. 24, 2011