How do I explain to a 5 year old that she will never have a brother or a sister?

Flowerbug

Asked by Flowerbug at 7:26 AM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• You tell them the truth. You say God gave you to me and decided that you were so special I did not need anymore children.

Answer by gemgem at 7:28 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My 5 year old is always asking for a baby brother or sister...I flat out tell her, nope honey, mommy is done having babies... you don't have to get all technical or have a deep explanation they are young and usually a "no" and a very short why, does a good job.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:30 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It depends on whether you want to say it's a choice that you have made or say that physically you can not. No matter what, explain how wonderful your dd is and say that you didn't think you could do so well a second time and are happy with everything or that it's something you really wanted to do but your body didn't cooperate. You're sad about it but less sad because your dd is so wonderful. You don't need to go into physical details.

I remember asking for a younger sibling and my mother firmly saying that it was impossible. My Daddy had an operation that meant no more babies. That was good enough for me and thinking back I was around 5 or so. I did have an older brother though so not exactly the same situation.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:32 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Thanks to all, I have done explaining, bought the dog and entertained her, but at a recent parent teacher meeting the teacher showed me pic of her "ideal" family. Me and her and a baby sister. I also thought I have covered the question long ago but that made me ache for almost like something is missing in her life
    Flowerbug

Comment by Flowerbug (original poster) at 7:39 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I very simply told my daughter mommy got u and now i cant have any more babies so ur g2 have to ask ur dad... However we r not together and he gave her a half brother and sister. only yrs later my body proved the doctor and fertility specialist wrong and iam writing this 37wks and 1 day pregnant with a baby sister for my near 6 yr old daughter. If u want one dnt always believe what the man in white says it took me 4 yrs to concieve my body was messd up for 5 yrs and i saw a fertility specialist only when i was least expecting it did it happen. GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY.
    mememecassie

Answer by mememecassie at 8:33 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Don't read too much into it. Kids think of the fun of having a sibling and know nothing of arguments, rivalry, etc. Remember she is a child and does not assocoiate all the adult emotions to it. Our friends with an only child simply told him they were completely happy with just having him.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:54 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I like gemgem's answer!
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I am telling our son that we stopped at perfection. Its not up to my child for us to have another - if so, I would have wished my mom to get rid of my sister while growing up lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:16 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Hummm I think i might just change the subject--it isn't necessary to justify adult decisions/problems to kids. I have a friends who was told she would never conceive at all and she has four lovely children. Who knows??
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 6:33 AM on May. 21, 2011