What age for kids to drink coffee type drinks

What age is appropriate for a kid to start drinking coffee type drinks(coffee, iced coffee, or those fancy type coffee drinks)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on May. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine did in high school, so 9th grade.

Answer by gemgem at 7:52 AM on May. 20, 2011

• IMO having a small iced coffee or latte which is really more milk than coffee occasionally at 12-13 is not a big deal. I would not allow my child to drink coffee regularly until they were closer to 16-17. I would still want to impress upon them that it is not a good every day choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Mine takes a sip. But I think that tweens and teens are drinking them more because of the media and social promotion. Besides they are sugar drinks now much more than 50 years ago. Then coffee was dark and strong. Very little or no sugar.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:55 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Not until they are adults, and even then in moderation. They are not "coffee" drinks by any means, they are sugary sweet dessert-type beverages if anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on May. 20, 2011

• When they start highschool
    _Amanda_2011

Answer by _Amanda_2011 at 8:24 AM on May. 20, 2011

• mine did occasionally in middle school -
    my son (almost 15) has about a half a cup most mornings before school- my daughter (17) likes the really fancy ones and gets one about once a month maybe and will have a regular cup or two in that time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:29 AM on May. 20, 2011

• caffeine does not stunt children's growth, too much caffeine can cause symptoms like hyperactivity, insomnia, nervousness, nausea, irritability, headaches, anxiety, and even muscle tremors or irregular heartbeat.

So how much is too much? The Mayo Clinic recommends no more than 200 to 300 milligrams per day for adults, but the U.S. doesn't suggest an official maximum daily amount of caffeine for kids. Health Canada recommends no more than 45 milligrams a day for kids aged 4 to 6, 62.5 milligrams for kids age 7 to 9, 85 milligrams for kids age 10 to 12, and no more than 2.5 milligrams per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight for adolescents 13 and up -- which means that a 110 pound adolescent should not have more than 125 milligrams of caffeine a day. Many coffee beverages contain more than that: a 16-ounce Starbucks Vanilla Latte contains 150 milligrams of caffeine [source: The Mayo Clinic].
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:56 AM on May. 20, 2011

• stole that from the mayo clinic.

my DD is the total opposite of hyperactive. I let her have a few sips of coffee in the morning....she is 9....i actually think it helps her concentrate better. Those days i allowed her to have a sip of my coffee, her teacher says she was a lot more focused that day.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:58 AM on May. 20, 2011

• My oldest is 14 and he had his 1st starbucks frap when he was 13 (his grandma bought it). I am surprised he liked it as he tried coffee at a friends house and he hated it. I usually do not buy the fraps for him, but on the rare time I do I get the creme one -- that does not have coffee in it. My kids do drink regular soda -- in moderation-- so caffiene is not an issue for me. My 12 yr old has never had a coffee blend beverage, the little one (then 4) has had a few sips of oldest brothers frap, the one w/o coffee.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:11 AM on May. 20, 2011

• samurai chica---- I have heard other moms talk in a group I am in about giving their kids sips of coffee in the morning and how it helps them to focus and concnetrate. (the kids in this case are ASD, or have ADHD issues)
    I might have to try that with my 1 son and see if it works for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 20, 2011