Should we blame The National School Lunch Program for Public Schools low scores?

How important is for a child a meal to function academically? Are you satisfied with the food students eat at school. Is the food given in schools that bad that parents are now blaming the food for their children low scores.
What do you think a parent can do to improve the quality of foods in school? Sorry, about the many questions. Please bump this question for the sake of The National School Lunch Program.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I know that the foods they served when I was a kid were junk (pizza, tater tots, greasy burgers, etc) but I don't know what the lunches are like now because my kids aren't school-age yet. I think it is up to parents to train their children to make smart choices before they ever reach school-age, so *hopefully* the children won't make a bee line for the unhealthy stuff. But if unhealthy is the only meal option, shouldn't we fight to change that? I do know that those greasy burgers were usually served with lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese. A child could eat that as a salad. Some schools I went to had chicken patties or burgers as a choice, so I chose chicken (not because I was a healthy eater, I just preferred chicken). Many high schools have a "food court" where you can pick from different meal options in different lines. School lunches are also not mandatory. I know budgets at home are constrained for many of us, but (cont)
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 9:11 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I think food is important but honestly dont know why people are complaining. I was worried about the quality of the food at my kids school so I took a day and had lunch with my kids. It wasnt planned and the school didnt know I was coming. Their lunches were better than most lunches you might buy at a cafeteria for adults, they had salad bars, and premade salads for the smaller kids, homemade soups, sandwiches and sides like coleslaw, pickles, tomatoes, and yes fries.

I think if someone doesnt like whats on their childs menu they should invest in a lunch box for $10 and pack their lunches. Then they can compare test scores with school lunch verses with food from home.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on May. 20, 2011

• meals are actually very important. as is sleep and a stable home for academic performance. I don't soley put that responsibility on the schools. I am very satisfied with school lunches and the prices at all of the schools we've attended in 4 different states. But I think the majority of the support they have to explain the good grades and academic performance for my kids is
    A stable home with 2 parents
    Adequate sleep and excercise
    Little to no caffeine or excess sugar
    Little to no TV or video games
    These things seem simple enough to me, but the way households are run these days it's a miracle the kids can get to bed by 9 without seeing family strife, and with a nutritious meal at dinnertime. School lunches won't make Johnny an academic when his momma is the town pump and he's having coke and poptarts for breakfast.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:07 AM on May. 20, 2011

• sure, its everyones fault but the parents..right? wrong!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:16 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Why not? I blame this computer for chores not getting done around here. (just kidding - mostly)

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:17 AM on May. 20, 2011

• If these parents were THAT concerned they would boycott school lunch and send their kids in with their own lunches. It's not that difficult to make a sandwich and throw some grapes in a baggy the night before.
    What these parents really want is something to complain about, someone to point their fingers at, and a magical solution to their kids' academic and fitness problems.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:33 AM on May. 20, 2011

• No you can't blame anyone but poor teachers and uninvolved parents.

Answer by older at 8:40 AM on May. 20, 2011

• (cont) it is not unreasonable to plan things in such a way that your child's lunches are in the grocery budget. That won't necessarily stop them from trading with friends for the unhealthy junk or spending any money they might have with them on junk, but at least you're doing what you can, and if you've taught them well, they might not back those bad choices. I don't see the point in blaming anyone for my child's behavior or her development. It is my responsibility to guide and to teach my children. If I put them in public schools, it should be my responsibility to get as involved as possible in their learning both at home and at school. If we send our kids off to school and forget about them altogether 8/5, then it is only our own faults if they do poorly. We could blame school funding or school lunches or their peds, but it's really only our own faults. School is NOT a parenting alternative.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 9:16 AM on May. 20, 2011

• If the parents want to blame the school lunches than they need to pack their children's lunches.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:41 AM on May. 20, 2011

• If you put your kids in sports and insure they are active then they will not gain weight. Maybe your friend should look into that? That is what I did with my kids, and it had nothing to do with school lunches but everything to do with me wanting them to know the value of being active and fit.

Answer by gemgem at 8:11 AM on May. 20, 2011