If you had a wonderful educational and career opportunity, but the commute would cost more than moving there...

and your DH didn't want to move with you because y'all own a house and he has a start-up business in a traditional storefront (as opposed to a home-based business which might be more mobile), but he also didn't want to help you out with childcare (either through cost or through actually watching them the whole time you are gone or both) what would you do?

a) give up on the opportunity and hope something in your own town is available at some point;

b) move by yourself, leaving the kids with DH, but come home on the weekends;

c) move and take the children with you, but come home on the weekends;

d) move, take the children with you, and officially split up with DH.

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 8:10 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• Would this career move offer your family more financial security? If the answer is yes, does your husband realize this, or is he perhaps threatened by your future success & earning potential? His refusal to help out with the childcare expenses or physically watching them himself, I see as his way of controlling what you do about this career move. He wants things to stay just as they are with you now, & he isnt going to make it easy for you to do otherwise. Has he forgotten they are HIS children too? Sometimes opportunity only knocks once, & if you feel this career opportunity would benefit your family's future, then find a way to do it. If you dont because of your husbands refusal to support you in this venture, you will end up resenting him. Personally, I have always looked out for myself & my daughter. I never depended on anyone else, because there are no guarantees any relationship lasts forever.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:48 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Life decisions are tough. I would choose my kids and dh. Depending on how old the children are I would put them as my first priority.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on May. 20, 2011

• D I would pick D
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:33 AM on May. 20, 2011

• IF I could find reliable care for the children I would go to the job every week and come home on the weekends. Lots of people do it.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:48 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Life decisions are tough. I would choose my kids and dh. Depending on how old the children are I would put them as my first priority
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:25 AM on May. 20, 2011

• A.
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 1:15 PM on May. 20, 2011