Writer mamas:

Do you submit your work to both paying and nonpaying publications?

Are you proud of every published work, even if it brings in no paycheck, because it's a new line on your resume/curriculum vitae?

How do you deal with rejection letters?

Do you dedicate book-length works to your children?

Have you ever self-published or would you?

Do you have a blog?

Where can I find your published work (including online formats and e-books)?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 8:17 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have a few free stories on my website, but I write for money.

My writing's not about a resume, it's about accomplishment. And I'm proud of all my work, or I wouldn't submit it.

Rejection letters: Cuss, have a shot of bourbon, sulk for one night and move on.

Dedications: Yes. To my kids, my husband, my dogs, my friends, and whoever supplies me with caffeine.

I've never self-published, but I'd consider it. I have the rights back on one of my old stories. Someday I'll polish it up again and put it back out so it can keep earning money.

Yes, I have a blog. Poor, sad neglected thing. My website went kablooey on me a few months back and I've been hiding my head in the sand about it. Apparently, it can only be read in IE, not Mozilla because the background is totally screwy.

It's http://selacarsen.com
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 8:35 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I am a writer I write fiction manga and anime we are writing our first live action but I think I told you this. LOL 2012 we hope
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:22 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I'm new to all of this ... been working on a piece that I hope to get published in a publication but don't know the best way to go about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I have run a website for almost 10 years to help volunteers working with kids. My book came about because a publisher found the site and contacted me. Most of what I do is free. I do write ebooks and create printables that I sell on the site. I don't write for other sites, but I would not be opposed to doing so if asked. I don't blog, but have thought about it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:10 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I maintained a series of history-related websites that feature some of my graduate research. They've been found and linked to by the BBC, Channel4, and History.com I do some creative writing too, but haven't submitted it to anything as I have yet to finish a project.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:55 AM on May. 20, 2011

• @anony

There's the hard way and the easy way. Easy way is to purchase a copy of Writer's Market and/or get their online website subscription and start sending things off to publications because they can tell you where to send what types of writing. Another easy way is to self-publish through blogging, e-books, or places like CreateSpace.com (an Amazon.com venture). Hard way is to do your own research for what places publish what and what their submission guidelines are. I actually prefer this method of researching venues better than Writer's Market, but that's because during my undergraduate studies I learned how to do market research and/or look for calls for proposals/submissions.
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 8:38 AM on May. 20, 2011

• @SelaCarsen

I went to your site and can read it on Mozilla Firefox v4.0.1, black text on a maroon background. I'll bookmark it for later. :)
    AmourSpork

Comment by AmourSpork (original poster) at 8:42 AM on May. 20, 2011