How bad can he hurt himself? and How can I prevent it

my 9M is lea rning to stand when he's in his crib he'll go handsfree or just slip, and he's hit his mouth/chin 2 or 3 times. I'm worried he can seriously get hurt. "NO" is SO not working. And Covering it with a blanket is useless-just slids off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, he's going to pull himself up regardless, its what they do. i just helped him up one day and my son had it down, still slipping every now and then. cant really tell him not to do that. if you see him trying to stand, help him up, really just balance him. feety pajamas with the gripper feet are good too. GL.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Yeah, that is just something he is going to do no matter how many times you tell him not to. But I understand your concern, I flipped when my daughter started doing it too. The only thing I can tell you is he won't get badly hurt from it. I cannot count how many times my daughter bumped her head/chin on her crib when she first started standing up in it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i would catch him sometimes and let him take his falls as well,that how they learn,if and when he gets teeth i would be worried.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My son started pulling himself to stand up two weeks ago and he's had his fair share of falls but it doesnt stop him. He's seven months now and is doing better but still has accidents. I just make sure there isn't anything dangerous that he could fall on (he mostly falls when he uses the couch to help him) he does good in the crib. I wouldn't worry too much they need to learn and you can't always be there for them. They are going to be getting lots of boomers but it won't stop them, it will make them stronger.
    Anonymous