Spider Plants

I've had a spider plant for going on 5 years now and its never spidered.... any ideas on what I can do?

MrsDAP

Asked by MrsDAP at 8:47 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• A: What you need is patience. The plant is becoming pot bound, so stop giving it so much fertilizer because it isn't needed. Eventually, it will start producing babies and you'll be giving them away to family and friends!
    source: http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/spider.htm

This answer is correct to a point. BUT, if your plant has been in the same pot for 5 years...the soil int here is most likely void of any nutrients & it might need fertilizer.

I also find that my spider plants bloom better if they have just a tad of sunlight. Mine are in a south facing window, but there are trees & it provides dappled sunlight for about 2 hours, which really helped it produce blooms. Direct sunlight might be too much for a spider plant...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:54 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I found this on the web it might help:
    Q: We've had a spider plant for more than a year. It hangs in a pot in a west-facing window. Although it has grown nicely, it has never produced spiderettes. The plant appears healthy and does not have any browning at the tips. We follow your tips on watering and everything else. We use 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of Miracle-Gro in tap water with each watering. Do you have any idea why this is happening? (e-mail reference)

A: What you need is patience. The plant is becoming pot bound, so stop giving it so much fertilizer because it isn't needed. Eventually, it will start producing babies and you'll be giving them away to family and friends!
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 8:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I just repotted mine into a larger bamboo/rice pot. It is looking so good now and starting to "spider" out.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:45 AM on May. 20, 2011

• If it's not rootbound, I would try some fertilizer like " bloom" or any generic that contains potash
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:50 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Does it get any bits of sunlight? Have you ever changed the soil & put it in a new, larger pot? Do you fertilize it regularly?

Fertilize it with a blooming fertilizer. Blooming fertilizer have very low nitrogen, high potassium & high phosphorus . You need high potassium & phosphorus if your plants are going to bloom.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:51 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I've changed the pot only once in that 5 years (about 3 years ago, I think).
    It sits on my desk in the office with 2 windows... no direct sunlight, but windows face West and South.

Sounding as thought a transplant is needed.
    MrsDAP

Comment by MrsDAP (original poster) at 8:58 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Well, I know for a fact that it does not need to be potbound in order to produce spiderlets, because I have one that I recently potted up that is not producing tons of spiderlets, and there's no way it could be potbound now. As for it not producing, I'd repot in to a slightly larger pot with good soil, and water it in really well. Put it where it can get at least a little sun.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:23 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Yep, time to re-pot it with some fresh soil.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:47 PM on May. 20, 2011

• change the pot and the soil and put it in the light. good luck
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 9:54 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I have no clue. Good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:12 PM on May. 20, 2011