Should we have intervened when India wanted to Strike Pakistan?

"The Pakistani High Commissioner in London, Wajid Shamsul Hassan, says India was ready to launch a military strike on Pakistan in retaliation for the Mumbai terror attacks, Sky News reported. Hassan said British and American officials had to intervene to prevent India from carrying out an attack"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463126,00.html

So many people on CM, think we should stay out of other countries affairs. Do you think in this case, we (the US/Bush administration) did the right thing?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I, personally give KUDOS to the Bush Administration for intervening. Had India attacked Pakistan, I think that would have been the catalyst for much worst things.
    Part of me thinks that the Al Aqaeda are trying to antagonize other countries to start out a much larger [world] war, that we (USA) have no choice but to get involved between 2 countries we need in order to fight our "War on Terror".
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• There is info coming out that some of the terrorists involved were from India. This whole thing is fishy, to say the least. As for whether we should intervene or not, I have no idea. We are da*ned if we do, and we are da*ned if we don't.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I think it is important for us to try to keep the peace between neighboring countries because if something is to happen we will get dragged in it somehow because it seems as though when the world is in trouble they come knocking on our door and asking for help. I, however, do not agree in entering their battle to help them but to stay neutral in the conflict should it arise. I think we need to stop being the heros and just let the battle play out but be on stand by should they try to attack us.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 10:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Considering both are nuclear powers, yes, it's good we intervened. Could you imagine how much more damage would have been done had we not!?
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• so why didn't we intervene to protect India from the attacks they suffer at the hands of Pakistan? why choose who gets to die
    Anonymous

• after 911 we retaliated against afganistan and Iraq. So why wasn't India allowed to retaliate against Pakistan. They were attacked and if we had the right to fight back after 911 why are we taking that right away from India. so now Pakistan can attack India again without fear of retaliation.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 3:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I think they did the right thing. India and Pakistan both have nuclear capabilities. Them dropping those bombs on each other would affect the whole world! Plus, I think any reasonable person would try to help if there were two people having a severe conflict like that. It's human nature to want to blame somebody in the face of a tragedy... but that doesn't solve anything. An outside opinion and non-biased view really helps the parties involved come to a peaceful resolution.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• so should another country have stopped us before we retaliated?
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 4:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Yes, ny chica.... I think they should have. But the rest of the world can't wait to sit and watch as we self-destruct. This whole country was "baying for blood" (as another mom put it) on Sept. 12th, and instead of calming us down, Bush picked a fight. I like the man, but it was the dumbest decision of his presidency. There are times when fighting is necessary, but this wasn't one of them. Just think about it... if we hadn't retaliated, it would have completely deflated the Al Qaida's agenda. The foundation of their plan was to enrage our nation and enact our need for revenge.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Brandyj I agree with you. I've being trying to get an answer from the rest but you are the only one to see the similarities and actually anwered. thank you
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008