how can i help my 1 yr old to start talking ????

hes walking but he not talking yet and hes just turned one i dont know what to do !!!!

Timmys_Mommy07

Asked by Timmys_Mommy07 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he isnt supposed to really be talking at 1! does he say mommy and daddy? or anything at all?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I wouldn't worry much about it yet. My son didn't really start talking untill 14 months. I would read to him, explain things to him, and just go on and on what is going on through the day. When I would put socks and shoes on my son- I would say, Okay Londyn lets get your socks on! Here is your Sock, Now lets put on the other Sock! Now our Shoes! Here is our first shoe, Now the Second SHOE! I would say shoe louder than the other words. He ended up learning shoe after 2 weeks. I know it sounds silly but it works for us. Good Luck!
    Londyns07mommy

Answer by Londyns07mommy at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• 1 is a little early for a boy, especially one that is advanced in motor skills, to talk. My LO didn't really start talking until he was 18-20 months. A lot of children don't start to talk until they are 2-2 1/2.
    The best you can do is to continually talk to your LO and read to him.
    No worries, momma. Don't stress about this. Every child develops at a different pace. Don't try to force it, you'll just get frustrated and that is counter productive to your child's progress.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• He isn't supposed to be talking yet. Here's a timetable of what the doctors will look for:

By 18 months he should have 10 to 20 words. Keep in mind that some kids have lots more and some only 2 or 3. The average is 10 to 20. And those words may not sound right at all; he may say "dee" or "oon" for balloon. Using different sounds for ones he hasn't learned to say yet or chopping off the beginning or end of the word are common and normal. And this SIX LONG MONTHS from now.

By 24 months, he should be stringing words together. That may be simple things like "more cookie" or it may be short sentences "Baby want down".

By 30 months, he should be saying sentences... "Mommy, look big brown dog".

By 36 months you should be able to have conversations with him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• What can you do to help?
    Read to him. Have at least one set storytime each day. If he won't sit still for storytime, have it at bedtime or just sit on the floor and read out loud while he plays.
    Talk to him. Describe everything you do and see. "Mommy is opening the fridge. Here's the milk. Let's fill your cup with milk." and "Look at the big green Christmas tree. It has lots of pretty lights on it. Look at all the ornaments."
    kaycee14

• my son isn't talking either, though he is walking, running, jumping, and spinning around in circles lol i ahve heard that boys are more advanced in motor skills than girls, and that girls are more advanced in talking and other intellectual things than boys are. i try to not compare him to other girls and boys his age, but its hard isn't it? lol... my son is 13 months and 1 week and he says mama, dada, ah duh (all done), mo mo (more), "ack!" (what does a duck say? Quack!), and nuh-nuh (nurse) lol
    kadens_momma_15

Answer by kadens_momma_15 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2008