This may be a stupid question

When making vegetable beef soup in the crock pot do I cook the meat first or does it get cook in the crock pot? I assume it gets cooked in the crock pot, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

JamieLK

Asked by JamieLK at 10:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Food & Drink

• it cooks in the crockpot
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• It gets cooked in the crockpot. You just throw everything in and cook it for however long the recipe says to.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Yes the veggies cook with the meat. If they are potatoes, I put them on the bottom because I'm pretty sure they take longer to cook than the meat.

I also sear the meat in a pan before cooking it in the crock pot. More dirty dishes but it is the only way my hubs will eat it.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I cook mine in the crockpot from the start. I like it so that the meat is falling apart and very juicy. I have heard of other that do things like boil the Chicken first or sear the meat, but I just choose not too.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• It cooks in the crock pot. You can brown it before hand, but you don't need to cook it before putting it in.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 10:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I sear roasts first to seal in the juices so it doesn't dry out, but not stew meat. Small pieces of meat take much less time to cook so they stay moist. I find that if you don't sear a roast by the time the inside is cooked, the outside is too dry from being cooked so long.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• in the crockpot
    flgatorchick15

Answer by flgatorchick15 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2008