Does anyone know why people put a number symbol in front of words on facebook?

For example, this is a friends post;

"and all this time i thought the rapture was a dance punk band from brooklyn #may21"

I see that every day & everyone is doing it. What does it mean? Why are they putting the number symbol in front of certain words?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on May. 20, 2011 in Technology

• # is called a "hashtag" and it's used to find things on twitter. Hashtag are clickable on twitter, but you can also use things like tweetchat to follow live feeds that are going on with that hashtag. People will sometimes have twitter parties and use things like tweetchat to follow along and reply to people. Tweetchat is a filter. it will only show you post with a certain hashtags.

On facebook if you type @ and followed by a friends name or page you follow it will tag that person and make that name clickable. So say mom and you are friends if you type @mom on facebook. It will tag mom and make "mom" clickable on your status.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:02 AM on May. 20, 2011

• So that the status links to their twitter also.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:48 AM on May. 20, 2011

• # is for twitter.... it appears on facebook because often people can have settings that allow their tweets to post to facebook or what they post on facebook shows up on twitter. What you have to do is see how it was posted. Under the post you'll see things like posted from android, posted by selected tweets, posted by twitter, etc.

When it said things selected tweets, posted from twitter, or anything like that it means it was first posted on twitter and because of the apps they are using its being posted on facebook too. If there is not that message at the bottom of the post then that means it was first on facebook, but will be posting to twitter.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:55 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I see it too, but I thought it had something to do with twitter. I don't know why I thought that, so maybe I'm way off.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:13 AM on May. 20, 2011

• It was on a game show the other day saying it shows the word following it is important but they said it was on Twitter

Answer by admckenzie at 9:14 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Because certain symbols create links. Like if you want to mention one of your friends in a post you might say,

"I saw @Wilma Flintstone standing on the corner downtown! GASP!" And when you click on her name, it would take you to her profile. Although sometimes when it's done via phone the link is broken and it just shows up as crazy symbols.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:14 AM on May. 20, 2011

• I don't have twitter...only facebook. BUT, my DD was watching that girls show Victorius & they have these clips where she twitters or something & they do it too on that TV show......before certain words, there is a # symbol....it's pissing me off that i didn't get that memo! What DOES IT MEAN!?!?!?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:15 AM on May. 20, 2011

• i knew that about the "@" symbol...bet these aren't links. just words...

So you say it makes the following word very important? OK.....weird...but OK.....i see it on facebook everyday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 AM on May. 20, 2011

• # is to Twitter what @ is to Facebook
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:29 AM on May. 20, 2011

• so why do these people do it on facebook then?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:33 AM on May. 20, 2011